1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Etiquette

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bathead, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm just looking for a quick overview of what's not appropriate and what is. Also what's annoying and what's not. Anyone got some tips and information? :D

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Drooling over the used MIJ jazz bass on the wall for 250 is
    good.

Complaining about the 1400 MIM Squier P bass on the wall is
    bad.

Approaching the guitar amp area on Saturday afternoon without earplugs is bad.

Firing up the biggest bass amp there and stroking the mids
    all the way up while diming the gain and master Sat afternoon
    is good.

There's more, but I am out of time.

3. Playing Higher Ground at 11 is generally frowned upon.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    From what I've seen at GC, there is no such thing as etiquette.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Playing Higher Ground badly is frowned upon.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Having worked at a guitar shop I can only tell you that it depends on when you walk in. If you are trying out basses, get one and try to sit at an amp that points at your head. If you prefer an amp that won't do this, sit on the floor. That way you can tune out all the other crap going on around you and really hear what you came to hear. If it's an amp you want to hear, here's my best advice. Make friends with a sales guy. Ask him when the best time to try out an amp without a big crowd is. Try to come back when that guy is working. He will be good to you and really help you out if you stick with him. The best time to try out an amp may be at opening time on a Monday or Tuesday morning. There shouldn't be a big crowd of show offs then. Other than that, don't worry about what songs you play. If you are thinking about buying something, you need to play what's the most familiar to you.

All that being said, if you are NOT buying anything. Or if you are just using the store to try stuff out so you can find a better price on line, then you are annoying and you should go away.;)

7. I know what annoys me the most... When someone comes in and "tries out" a bass at fairly high volume by playing some gimmicky, rote-learned, slap-and-pop sequence over and over and over and over again without pausing. I'm like, "hey some of us are actually trying to gauge the sound of something we're trying out and aren't impressed by your wankery!"

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Asking me for my name, address, phone number, passport, finger prints, and urine sample, so I can pay cash for a $3 cable, is bad etiquette.

9. Parents! Please don't allow your 14 year olds to play (badly) Smoke on the water, at ear bleeding levels.

10. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Anesthesia (pulling teeth) is bad

unless you can play the whole thing and have a drummer with you

and theres an alembic there that you're playing

11. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    hahahahahhhahahah. Good form Peter, good form

12. chaseman

chaseman

Feb 28, 2011
    Weymouth, UK
    sorry to resurrect the thread and all that, but I need some advice on etiquette :help:

I'm planning on going to try out an amp in a store (GC equivalent of the UK) and I wanted to know if there is anything I need to take/do to avoid annoying people, i.e. should I take my own bass to gauge what the amp sounds like with my gear, or use one of theirs? Any other advice would be great :)

13. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Just use one of their bass'. Have fun, play your style and be courteous to those around you.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would approach a good-looking salesperson and say, "Hi, I'm considering getting a new amp and I'd like to try out a couple. I brought my bass so I can hear how they sound with my equipment. Will you help me get set up with a cable and power?" If you act in a friendly fashion, you should be fine. If you want to hear how the amp sounds cranked, turn it up for just a few notes, then back off. If you must do some typewriter wankery, keep it to a minimum ... maybe 10 seconds - just enough to hear the tone. It just gets down to being considerate of the salespeople and other customers.

While there is no shortage of complaints about GC around here, I never have any trouble there. I treat the salespeople respectfully, even if they're knuckleheads. Someone who likes you is more likely to cut you a deal than someone who thinks you're a dwid.

15. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Taking your bass would be a great option as it takes one variable out of play. If they have a bass in stock that is the same as yours, that would probably be acceptable and would get you reasonably close to the tone you would hear with your full setup and it would save you from having to tote yours around (if that's an issue for you).

As far as not annoying people, first and foremost: Be respectful. If you could time your visit for a less busy day or time, you might want to consider that. I would also recommend that you be focused and know what you are looking for. If you crank it up and just noodle around, that could be annoying to others, but if you try out the various settings at a lower volume and only crank it up after you get a feel for it, that would probably be alright. I would also suggest that you don't use your time at the store as practice time. If at all possible warm up before you go in there, so you are ready to hit it. If you ask nicely, some stores will even let you take the gear on a trial basis (maybe giving them a credit card number as collateral) so you could take the gear home and really give it a thorough demo. If this is an option, and you end up NOT buying the amp, make sure to clean it up good and maybe bring it back with a box of fritters or a round of coffees as a thank you to the staff.

Like I said earlier, just be respectful and you should be alright.

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Get to know several long-time employees on a first name basis, including the store manager. IMO, part of good GC manners is being 'known'
    as a customer that buy items with a minimum of fuss. You don't want to be known as someone that frequently returns gear (as in taking advantage of GC).

And, here's a biggie...don't demo gear at top volume unless you're planning on buying it THAT day. You're likely to drive away REAL customers, and that's not a good thing!

17. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    As a guitar player one of those "big" amp rooms really is nice. As a bass player none of those exist around where I live so I don't even bother with a store. I'm not dancing around doing the store's dance moves when I am there to spend no less than 2 or 3 thousand of my hard earned dollars. Eliminates having to here every great riff on guitar ruined and all the bass wankers. Sure if I hate something I'll have to ship it back but so far I have not been disappointed. American Strat, American P-Bass, Ampeg Micro-VR, Fender Deluxe Reverb and a lovely Martin HD-28 as well as one of those Rode Podcaster's and so far the only thing I hate is the boom arm for the mic! Maybe I am a snob with the gear but I accept that. I would suggest anyone that follows this line of action do alot of homework before purchasing and enjoy never walking into a music store again only to be bombarded with bad renditions of Stairway, Smoke On The Water and every Metallica riff oh, and really bad bluegrass!

18. lefty1979

lefty1979

Mar 30, 2008
    DFW, texas
    Yeah, last time I was at GC I was accused of abusing their return policy by one of the newer salesmen. He pulled up my account info while I was trying to buy a LMII, saw a bunch of bass amps and basically said "dude, you gotta knock that off" If the genius had bothered to actually read the list he would have realized that I've been shopping (and spending money) there for about five years, and that most of the amps were either traded in or outright sold to them to pay for more gear. I'll admit, I WAS returning an amp at the time, but the only other amp I returned was a used amp I bought from them that had a defective fan (and it was a couple months ago, NOT every other week like he accused me of). His attitude pissed me off (that and the fact that I had been standing around for about an hour waiting for him to take the time out of his busy day of not doing anything to help me in the first place) so I took my money elsewhere. Since then I've dropped about a grand on gear, and almost none of it went to their store. For the most part though, building a relationship with one or two salesmen, maybe even a manager, can go a long way towards improving your GC experience.

19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Going to GC in inappropriate.

John

20. chaseman

chaseman

Feb 28, 2011
    Weymouth, UK
    Thanks for your input John.