Guitar Center financial woes - interesting read on multiple levels

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fletz, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist

First paragraphs below ...

It is the middle of the night between Friday and Saturday, and I am thinking about Guitar Center.

If the above sentence appears strange to you, we are in the same boat. I do not know how bizarre and random your life appears to you, but mine is definitely some sort of mysterious fractal. About four months ago, I was elected by the Internet to the position of United Nations Ambassador to Guitar Center. I made a simple, off hand comment about how I was surprised that the company was doing poorly despite all of the gear I bought there, and then the two separate streams of my life – music and business analysis – slammed together. Thousands of people began conflating my life as a somewhat decent bassist with my expertise in strategic forecasting. Now, with every development in the musical instrument industry, I have a flurry of emails and phonecalls from all levels of the business. It is surprising, fun, and as I now discover, significant of a much larger story.
  2. I hate shopping there, I don't like the corporate interest that owns it, although I'm sure I wouldn't like the corporate interests that own MOST of the places I shop... the one near me isn't terrible, the store manager is an awesome awesome dude, but it's where the money ends up that I dont like. Problem is, mom and pops don't have the gear or selection I need/want.