1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center, for once.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzmonkey, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    ....I was treated like a king!

I live in NVA, and the closest 2 GCs are Fairfax and Seven Corners. I usually go to Fairfax since it's closer, but I had to drive to Falls Church the other day so I figured I would check out the store in 7 corners.

I had never been to PF Chang's, so I asked the guy at the front if he knew of one that was close (yes, yes, I have a dumb phone). Not only did he take his time to look it up online for me and tell me how to get there, but in a few minutes he searched me out in the store just to give me the printout with directions, totally above and beyond the call of duty! And he was so friendly!

And as I went to the parts counter to pickup some stuff, the clerk there was also cool as a fan! I was utterly shocked, as I'm used to the apathetic treatment 75% of the time at GC Fairfax. There are a couple though that have treated me well the other 25%, especially lately, but in SC I was blown away.

Just wanted to throw that out there, I know GC gets some bad raps around here, and for good reason usually.

If you live in NVA and find yourself needing to go to GC, I think you're better off driving a little further to get better treatment, plus there is a Dogfish Head Alehouse within eyeshot, frikin' great!

Kudos GC Seven Corners! (Their selection of bass gear still sucks though, but so is life, that's what Jivesound is for!)

2. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    i agree, i like the service there, but the location sucks. its such a pain to get it, that I would actually rather go to rockville or fairfax instead. same with chuck levins up in maryland, parking there is terrible!

3. Thanks for the positive story of GC.

I have a theory about all the "GC abuse" that people report:

If you go into a GC and think and act like a kid, expect for some unscrupulous sales rep to take advantage of you.

If you go into a GC and you have your act together, you've done a little research, and you know what's up, it can be a very enjoyable experience.

It's like any other retail experience. Don't be a target. Be smart, and you'll win every time.

4. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    How about if you gon into a guitar center, it's just a bunch of people who were at some point, or are now, entwined into music and working for minimum wage?

5. Yeah, i liked that one more, but i've gotten to know some of the guys at the fairfax one they say hey when i walk in and we chat some.
    I do like chucks a LOT more though. Great selection of stuff. Its weird though how music store employees ive met dont seem to have like a personality, like they were built to sell stuff/get mad when i go into the acoustic room without an employee glaring at me lol

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So what we have here is a perfect example of the difference GOOD MANAGEMENT brings to any business. That GC has a good manager, plain and simple. Sadly, he is the exception, not the rule. I suspect he'll last there a few years before realizing that his hard work has gone unrewarded and he'll move to another company. That GC, as an overall organization, doesn't give a frosty crank about how their stores are run, is apparent based on how the average store operates so long as they bring in the $$ from Mom and Pa. So enjoy the good treatment at that particular GC. Give them some business - Good management *should* be rewarded. Hell, write THEN a letter thanking them. Believe me - it will mean something.

7. jazzmonkey

jazzmonkey

Mar 7, 2010
    N.VA
    There are some good folks at the Fairfax store too though, I wasn't trying to bash them. I have just never received the level of friendliness and service as I did in the SC store.

Something that I hadn't considered until just now was that the Fairfax store seems to be much busier, so that probably has something to do with it. I can't remember if I've ever been there without a symphony of noise going on, and with enough exposure that can make anyone less enthusiastic about their job, it truly takes a rare breed.

I need to check out that Chuck Levin's, I have heard good things.

8. pejsaboy

pejsaboy

Apr 10, 2010
    I've only been to a GC once, a few months ago in Sacramento, CA. It's about an hour drive from where I live, more with traffic or I'd stop in for the hell of it more often. I had a pretty good visit though. I didn't ask too much of the staff since I knew what I wanted to look at and didn't need their help other than to get an instrument cable for testing. The guy I originally talked to stopped by about every 15 minutes to make sure I didn't need anything, but wasn't at all pushy and suggesting things I had no interest in. Good show in my book!

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I had a good experience recently at the GC in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was passing through on tour and had called a few days ahead of time to see if they had a Line 6 Relay in stock. They had one left, and held it for me without a deposit. It was waiting for me when I got there, the manager was very helpful, and even used a coupon from a mailer I wasn't aware of that saved me fifty bucks.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like GC. But then again, I rule.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have positive experiences at GC fairly often. But the closest one to me is pretty much the best one in this metroplitan area. D/FW has several GC's. There is one each in Ft Worth and Arlington, and three in Dallas County. The Arlington store and one of the Dallas stores are pretty good. The other Dallas stores and the Ft Worth store are somewhat less impressive. Although in fairness, the last time I was at the Ft Worth store it was definitely better than it had been.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021