Guitar Center( Geddy Lee- MM Stingray 5-OLP)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kelbrihan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    So I went to Guitar Center today to kill some time and they had a few basses there that I have heard good things about from this site.
    First was a Fender Geddy Lee, so I took it down and plugged it in. The action was so high that I couldn't even gauge how it would play like or sound like, but the construction seemed solid.
    The second was a Fender Marcus Miller, took it down and the action was alright but the sound wasn't and all of the knobs were loose. (I've had one of these before and a/b'ed it with a real '76 Jazz and it was no contest so I sold the Marcus Miller)
    Third was a MusicMan Stingray 5, the real reason that I went there, but since it was up on the top and all of the salesmen were busy I picked up an OLP Stingray 5 to play until I got the MusicMan. I played on the OLP for a while and finally I was handed the MusicMan 5 but alas the action was too high and the fret barbs along both sides of the neck made it to where I couldn't even get an impression on the bass. I could tell that there were more tonal variety than with the OLP but I have to say,the OLP really impressed me and it's $1000 cheaper than the MusicMan to boot.
    I showed the GC rep the action on the MM and the difference between the set up of the OLP and said "seems like you would want to make sure that the $1289 bass plays better than the $289 bass". He assured me that it was only that the bass need a quick neck adjustment and I said "okay, while you are at it check out the Geddy, it was unplayable as well"
    He tried his best to sell me a bass but, if you don't care enough to set it up first then don't act like you care at all.
    First impressions are everything and if I had walked out of there with a bass today it would've been the OLP and they would have lost a potential $1000 on that deal as I wanted the Musicman Stingray 5. He assured me that he will have both basses set up correctly and call me back in to try them out, should I go? or did they blow their "first impression" sell?
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If he's willing to work for it, why not give it a chance, some of those guy aren't all bad.
    Remember the store is set up so anybody can play anything and they tend to upset the ones who really know their stuff.
    I've had some great salesmen there in the past.
  3. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Usually, when I buy anything, I just use Guitar Center to try it out, then I go somewhere else to buy it. They have a great selection, but their prices suck and I hate being treated like I'm buying a mattress or a Toyota.

I would check out a few more places and find the best price you can on the EBMM and the Fender. If the guy calls you, ask the price first. Tell him you will come in within the hour and buy one of those two IF he can meet your price. Then give him a number lower than that listed anywhere else. If he can't meet it, thank him and hang up.

My guess is that he won't call.

That's just my two cents, for what it's worth.