1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center GRRRRRRR

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ArmyPunkGuy, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    I needed to sell my MIA Deluxe Jazz quick to keep a check from bouncing so i strolled into GC in OKC with my mint 05 MIA Deluxe Jazz and attempted to sell it. Then the salesman says " The best we can offer you is $400 cash and $450 trade in." I felt the urge to pound his face in but instead decided to try and reason with the guy. I said, " Look man I bought this a year ago for $1,179 and it's in perfect condition." He was like " We need to make a profit bro." Needless to say i left with my bass and I can assure you that I will never buy anything from those scumbags!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's business. Any store will do that to you.

They're shelling out cash for something that they still have to sell as used, no warranty, and still make a money, pay taxes on it, etc.

3. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    pawn shop won't give you anymore. put an ad in the paper or sell it on ebay you'll get close to what it's worth.

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Actually, that's a much better deal than you'd get in the local music store that I work for (I'm the Webmaster). There, you'd probably get the $400, but no credit.

$150 net loss after a year isn't bad at all from a retail establishment. eBay, on the other hand, if for people who need to realize fair market value quickly.

5. GC is fair in their prices. Only go there if you need some cash quickly. (Ie. Going to lose fingers)

6. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    thing is I know they'd sell it for $900

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Welcome to the business world. That's more than most dealers would offer for it. What do you think a dealer PAYS for a BRAND NEW, with warranty, MIA Deluxe Jazz? Why would they give you more than they can buy a NEW one for?
    The salesman was ABSOLUTELY correct. They do have to make a profit. They WOULD ask $900 for it. They would probably settle for $700. Overhead is not a cheap thing for businesses.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sell it privately (on talkbass, craig's list, ebay, etc).

9. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    nice little personal jab there cheese but that has nothing to do with it

10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nothing personal meant at all. It's just the facts.

11. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    point is you could have left out that last bit, but np

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yeah you really get screwed trying to sell stuff that way dude. I've been there too.. best bet is evilbay with a decent BIN or even here.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, if he meant you get both the $400 cash and the $450 trade-in, you'd be making out like a bandit. I suspect you mean you get one or the other, which is pretty typical for a retailer buying used gear. GC usually buys used gear for about one-fourth of list price. They then mark it up about 100 percent or a little more, and allow the next buyer to negotiate it down. Bottom line, it's pretty stupid to sell stuff to GC. As others have said, you're better off selling it locally or on eBay.

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Not here to argue bro. I'll delete the last line. Was just giving a business perspective.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's the biz. I always tell my customers that they would always get the best $$ by selling it themselves.

I've developed a saying when it comes to trade ins - I can do nothing and make no money. Which means that if I have to put in work to basically break even, then it would be better to not take a trade-in at all.

As Cheeze as said, they have to offer less than what a new one costs them. Otherwise, they would be better off getting a new one with a warranty that they can still get a decent margin for. Unfortunately for the OP, GC gets stuff pretty cheap.

GC is a very profit and volume based company. A used item competes with their new items. It has to make a similar profit to a new item that is similar. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for them to take it in in the first place. Also, the item has to be substantially less in price in order to make it competitive with new inventory, otherwise a customer will take a new item with warranty. Those two combined, make for a bad trade in value.

From an accounting perspective, a trade in is always a potential total loss. There can be an undiscovered issue that can reduce the value, or make it unsellable after the trade. If that happens, the business is looking to minimize potential losses.

This is how you look at a trade-in to reduce the amount you get pissed off in the future:
    How much is your time, energy, and liability worth? The time and effort it takes to advertise and sell the product, communicate with customers, collect funds, package the item, ship it, and deal with any potential issues (i.e. shipping damage) goes into the value of the trade-in. If you look at that, and it still doesn't seem worth it to you then no-one can force you to take the deal. Just don't take it, and find a different way to sell it.

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    This is the norm for about anything Cameras, Pc's, game systems. Dont get mad at GC they have huge overhead as said before and as soon as the bass walks off the store floor its used. Always sell outright for the most money be it a car or whatever.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021