1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitar center has a nice clerence bass. Any tips for talking them down more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Mar 29, 2013.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    its a stingray classic 5 thats been knocked down from 1975 to 1425. anyone ever had any luck talking them down more this is the bass i really want but 1400 is alot to put into it from my point of view

2. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Take however much you want to spend on it, in cash, and show it to them, see if they take it.

Depending on how far off you are from them, they may go for it.

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Guitar Center doesn't like to move very much on their prices in my personal experience.

Honestly, I would look on the used market, you can probably find one in "as new" shape for a few hundred less. Check the TB Classifieds

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    If it was priced close to $2000 originally, with a much higher MSRP, what makes you feel $1400 is a lot to put into it?

Not wanting to sound snarky, but it doesn't seem like sound logic. It may be discontinued, but it is a brand-new bass from an expensive Made in USA brand and it is their higher-end Classic series.

Of course you can offer them whatever you want...

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^Yeah that's snarky> LOL

6. all_sixes

all_sixes

Mar 15, 2013
    I got pretty much the exact same deal two weeks ago at a Guitar Center in Fresno, CA. The "clearance" for the bass expired, but they still honored the price for me. It's probably the best 5 I have played thus far, and sounds killer!

Although, since there is another Guitar Center with the same bass on clearance, I wonder if it could be a defected factory run or something, and instead of having them recalled, they just told GC to sell it cheaper? Hmmmm....

Regardless I am very happy with my purchase, and I think that $1425 is a reasonable price (probably the best you will get from them, at least)

What's the color/pick guard config on this one. Everybody likes some pics!

7. They have 2 of those in 4 string at my local GC both knocked down to similar prices. I doubt they're allowed to lower the price as it probably came from HQ, but you can try. You'd have more luck haggling with a locally owned shop. The two they have are a hideous salmon color, I figure that's why they're marked down, because other SR Classics are still full price. Not a bad deal, I scored a $400 Motorcycle helmet for $200 because it was such an ugly color scheme nobody would buy them. I'm a function over form kind of guy though, so I got $400 performance for $200. Same thing with my Lakland 44-02 Deluxe, $1400+ bass I got for $650 because it had some cracks and dents in the finish. Still sounds and plays the same.

8. bwest9

bwest9 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    clean, freshly set up and ready to go wow what a beauty thats got some serious mojo too I like turtles

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I know, I am indeed a jerk, but my parents also raised me to be polite.

10. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Do more research; call other music stores and find out if any of them have this bass; if they do tell them GC's price and see what they will offer you; if its lower go back to GC with an offer lower than you were quoted at the other store. Also check online and see what kind of a deal you can get and take that to GC. IMHO there is always a better deal out there.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry, but the reduced price is just about what they have in it. The bass lists at $2,820, and they probably paid 50 percent of that ($1,410) for the instrument, then usually sell it for 70 percent of list. That gives them 40 percent gross margin. I wouldn't expect them to come down from $1,425. If my assumptions are correct, that gives them $15 of margin, so they're losing money at that price, because $15 doesn't come close to covering the overhead on that bass. If there's nothing wrong with the bass, that's an excellent price. If you don't have enough money for the bass, you should look at something else.

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    +1

Do you have your heart set on the Classic or would you be happy with the standard model? Plenty of those out there on the used market and maybe you could even find one new on sale for what you'd be happy paying.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Why is the truth always viewed as snarky? OP make an offer, if they turn it down the ball is in your court. Just keep in mind that that is a lot of bass even at full retail. Chances are you'll have it forever. A little pain in the pocket today may seem trivial after a couple of years of ownership. But if you can't swing it, then don't.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    cash talks.
    They will look it up on their computer to see what they have in it and if you're within an acceptable margin they'll usually take your offer.

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Bypass the floor salesman and speak to a manager regarding further discounts. It may be worth the effort, although Munjibunga's remarks are in line with my experience as both a buyer and past life as an MI retailer.

There's a chance that GC buys MM stuff at a lower price point than average dealer cost due to their volume purchasing power. This could allow a little wiggle room that a smaller dealer that buys at 50% off MSRP may not have.

16. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    Bring cash. I have gotten instruments for super cheap that way. If it is already on clearance, you won't be able to talk them down too much. Bring 1350 cash, and tell that it is all you have. You really have to stand your ground on the fact that it is the only money you have. You will save 50 bucks, and around 100 in sales tax. Considering the price is already marked down 500 dollars, that's a total of 650 dollars in savings.

17. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    If you can find any scratches or dents on the instrument, you can talk them down to cost.

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Buy used. Great number of basses for sale in the classified here for less cash

19. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    ^This. Showing them that their "brand new" instrument is flawed in some way is the surest way to negotiate price.

Also good info maybe:

Here's my inside look at Guitar Center from working there.
    Showing them cash won't make them want to sell you a bass for less than clearance price any less than showing them a credit card. They see no difference on their end, it's not like a car dealership that has to deal with financing. In fact, they'd actually prefer you pay with their Guitar Center credit card.

Also, for anything Musicman, Guitar Center probably paid around $1425 for it. I've looked at the cost on them because I was curious one day. When they lower an instrument down to clearance, it either means they are selling a tiny fraction above cost, or right on it. If they were to go lower, they'd either lose money by giving you the deal or make nothing at best... and as a store that stays open because they make profit, they like to make money on instruments they paid for.
    So needless to say, I highly doubt you'll get a $2000 bass for $1400, but who knows. It all depends on their profit margin.

So just hope the bass cost them $1350 or so! Again, I've seen most of those basses cost at $1425, so don't get your hopes too high.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have talked down guitar center prices. Even on gear that was price dropped. I think it pretty much comes down to the salesperson you get, and how serious they think you are with your bottom line price. I once got about $100 knocked off an acoustic guitar that was price dropped because the salesperson knew I could take it or leave it. I saw another guy at the same time haggling for something else and they weren't budging, my belief is because the guy seemed desperate. He really wanted the guitar, it was obvious, and even I got the sense the guy was going to buy the guitar no matter what.

I would go there with the cash you're willing to spend, make them an offer, and that's the end of the story. If they take it you get the bass for what you want, if not you can either go back and pay the price, or find one used. All the opinions ans suggestions here won't change the bottom line price they'll give you.

I can almost guarantee they're going to tell you it's already marked down so they can't go any lower, but if you stick to, "this is absolutely the most I can spend as a few hundred of it is borrowed :)", you'll almost certainly get an, "ok, let me check with my manager." And they'll usually come back with something. Might just be a free gigbag or something though. Good luck.