Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center in Paramus, NJ: Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, May 4, 2005.

1. Playas,

I have a question has anyone out there that is from the NY, NJ area familiar with the Guitar Center in Paramus, NJ. I live not far from there in Middletown, NY. I was wondering if anyone has ever been there and know what type of selection of basses they carry there. :help:

I interested in possibly picking up a 6 stringer soon, and I am thinking of trying them. Also, besides Ibanez what would be a nice choice of 6 string basses would you suggest to try. I am looking for something in the $800 and less range. Nice used 6'er would also be cool too. Thanks for info inof you can share. Take care all stay safe.

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:

2. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
  3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    They have the same crap as everyother GC. Nothing but fenders and Ibanez, maybe a musicman. If your lucky they might have a 6 string SPector

NJ Guitar And Bass is the place for higher end stuff but is pretty from from paramus

4. Czar, thanks for the info. I am relatively new to this area and I am somewhat familiar with this area but I don't want to travel too far. I still may check them out just for something to do...maybe I might get lucky and find something good.

Peace

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I used to live in Bergen County. In the Paramus area, check out Victor's House of Music on Route 17. They usually have a good selection of basses. I bought my Fairlane 6 from Victor's. The people are generally nice too.

Closer than that to you is Robbie's Music in Mahwah. It's a barn type building. I took lessons there and they're a really nice mom-and-pop shop. They're an authorized Spector dealer and have some cool basses. Selection isn't super wide like you find in a megastore (particularly when ERBs are concerned), but the instruments are well cared for. And if they don't have what you want, they'll get it for you.

NJ Guitar and Bass in Edison is quite far from Paramus. I go to school in Piscataway (near Edison) in central Jersey and I'm 1.5 hours or so from Paramus. If you take 287 south to Exit 1A (I *think*) you can catch Amboy ave from there, which is where NJ Guitar and Bass is. Nice people there.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when my Grandfolks lived in Saddlebrook, I use to spend a lot of time the Sam Ash in Paramus... near 4 and 17 if I remember correctly (haven't been in that area in 16 years at least). Is it still there? It was a great shop at the time, I blew a lot of cash there :bassist:

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    How 'bout another 'GC story'?

Just yesterday these goofs amazed me again (No, not in New York, but Milwaukee. ..doesn't matter; they must just be cloning idiots for all the stores).

...So I go down to GC, walk up to the counter in the audio/keyboard/DJ department, and stand politely waiting for some service. A guy finally gets to me (they were NOT very busy at all); I went for a specific purpose, and began to explain to him: "Here's what I'd like to do. I've been shopping for a bass for a couple months now, and I'll be doing something soon. I'm familiar with the feel of the different basses, and sort of know where I'm going there, but now I'm working on sound. I came up with an idea. I've heard you guys back here demo-ing your PAs and DJ stuff, and there's this kind of bass tone that I want to definately be able to get close to with my new bass; it's in several hiphop songs that I've heard on the radio, and I'll bet you have an example of it on one of the demo disks I hear you play in here. I'd like for you to set me up in front of one of your CD players, so I can skip through some of the songs you have. When I find an example of this bass tone, I'll run over and grab the bass guy from over there, drag him over to listen to part of the track, and ask him what kind of bass would give me this kind of tone."

While I was explaining this, another clerk had approached, so they were both "helping" me now. These guys would NOT just simply grant my request - all they did was go through a LIST of every stretch of the imagination that they could both muster as to why my idea wouldn't work. The main thing they kept jumping back to was that being it was hiphop that I mentioned, it wasn't a bass guitar, but a synthesizer - they snapped back to that several times in the five-or-seven minutes I struggled with them. I said "no, I mean bass guitar parts. Would you just set me up over here with one of your DJ rigs or something here?"; they said "well they're probably sampled"; I said "fine - then I'd like a bass like the one they sampled. Could I just borrow one of your CDs here?"; they said "I'll bet it's a synth anyway. All those hiphop bass lines are synth"; I said "Fine, then I'd like a bass that can get a sound like a certain synth patch. Could I just skip-through a couple of your demo tracks? It's a very common sound these days, and I'll bet you have an example of something like it...". These guy would NOT let me, all the while insisting that I can NOT get a bass sound like on a hiphop track.

I left them and walked up to another guy who had just walked into the room. I got exactly the same argument. I mean by then I was getting pissed, and said "Dude - even if you think I'm an idiot, would you please just let this idiot skip through a couple tracks on your demo disks?..". He continued with every rediculous reason in the world why I could NOT possibly buy a bass that would give me a hiphop tone.

Now I'm getting pissed. I walked over to the bass department - over to a guy I'd talk with several times - and told him about the amazing experience I just had, but this time with my main point being that even if they believe what they believe (that there are no bass guitars in hiphop music, I guess is what it is), it's just amazing that they would not let me listen for a certain synth-tone on their demos to play for my bass salesman. He proceded to take the exact same tack that they were on. I said "dude; listen to this once", and I made a big, loud, hairy, juicy fart sound by putting the palm of my hand up to my mouth. I said "Dude; let's say that's the sound I play for you. You could still tell me that maybe I'm looking for a P-bass with a fuzz box, right? Right??! You guys are amazing; just astounding."

(Bytheway: the sound I was talking about was the very compressed, tight, synth-ish, not-'woody', heavy on the second-harmonic sound that's more often used with female vocalists - as opposed to the boomy undamped-kickdrum sound that's popular with a lot of the guy-rappers -which I don't care for at-all).

Joe

8. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Actual I think that the GC in Paramus is the best one I have ever been to They had rics, Pedullas , warwicks , fenders MM's, Ibanez and they even had a seperate wall that had a alembic , ZON , Sadowsky 5 and alot of other REALLy high end basses!!! By far the best GC I have ever been to.

and yes Sam Ash is still there and it is a great stoor aswell

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hey BigC you should also check out Alto music in MIddletown great people there 40,000 square feet!!!

10. Broach,

I live about 5 minutes from Alto Music great store and good people, I bought my Cube 100 from them. I was looking for something different. They have a nice selection of Basses and by the way thet have one really nice Tobias Growler 5 string. :)

I am mainly looking for a 6 string, I was hoping to find something a little different at a good price. I also wanted to check out a store here in this area that I have not been to. I have a GC in Cleveland where I am from thats a nice store too.
    Thanks for the info, take care stay safe!

Peace

11. JBalloonist

JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
    +1
    That place is amazing. Too bad I can't afford anything in there...maybe someday. Everything from Lakland, Modulus, Fodera and Rics. It is a little cramped inside, but I've never had better customer service in my life.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the guitar center in paramus, it is the best one ive been to. they have a lot of bassess. hell, more bassess then any music store in my area. it has a lot of warwick, fender, music man, ibanez, rics, dean, all sorts of models. you should call first for availability. the bald dude they have working in guitars really knows his ****. i think his name is ed. i have purchased my p-bass from them, along with my rack tuner, my sans amp, and my monster cables. they always have stuff on hand. only thing i dont like is you buy the wall model.

sam ash on rt 4 in paramus is OK.
    i dont go there because i hate being talked down to, which everytime im there i feel like i'm being mocked by washed up 80's rockers. though, i purchased my first bass, and first two guitars from them.

the nj guitar and bass center in edison, is no where near the paramus guitar center. its like, easily an hour and a half further away. they are great people over at njgabc, but its far.

victors house of music i like. i purchased my music man from them, and my ibanez. they do not have much in terms of bassess on hand. they have, maybe 20-25 max. mostly, fender and ibanez. you can find some deals there, but nothing better then guitar center.

if you are taking route 17 there is also robbies in mahwah. i dont suggest going their. nothing but crapola. ****ty people to boot.

so, in reality, you can hit up all these stores with no problem.

rt 17 south you pass right by robbies. take 17 south to rt 4 west. make the first you turn(after you pass guitar center on your left) and once you stop there, you can keep going down 4(right past the 4/17 intersection, and sam ash is right there. then get back on rt 4, make a you turn. hope on 17 north again, and victors in on your way home.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    NJ Guitar and Bass has some good stuff if you're looking for American made instruments only. They looked at me with two heads when I offered a high end Japanese Ibanez as a partial trade. Also, be prepared to wait, they don't allow taking instruments off the rack to try. However, still a great selection and I've played many instruments there and that have come from there and they are phenominal.

On the other hand, as far as Guitar Center, I was never too impressed with the Paramus store. I've always gone down to the one in Springfield on Route 22 or in Wayne on Route 46. If you go to Wayne, speak to a guy named Mike... he's a tall guy, black ponytail, glasses and a high voice. He's got the greatest memory and can help you find ANYTHING you want.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Man, I wish I had known about NJ Guitar and Bass a few days ago! I was in Piscataway for business from Sunday through Tuesday, and drove over to the Sam Ash in Edison Monday night to get my bass fix. $#^@!

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That sucks man! They're only like five or ten minutes apart! Gotta visit both next time you're out here!

16. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Jump on a bus to the Port Authority and hit 48th Street. It's about the same distance as all the places in Jersey you're talking about, and you'll have a much bigger selection.

17. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    +10000000 on NJ Guitar and Bass Center.

My office is about 10 minutes away. First time I went there was to pop in during a luch break for a few minutes (a chineese food joint I frequent is next door). Jay is an extremely knowledgable and friendly guy. I wound up hanging out for about two hours in a suit and tie jamming with another bassist there. I damn near played about every bass through every rig in the place. Jay knew that I was not there to buy, but he was accommodating nonetheless. I probably will buy there. Lots of great high end amps and cabs as well, and a great used department.

Go there. Paramus is about 45 minutes north. It is definitely worth the trip.

18. I wouldn't call them "goofs" I would call them "patient" and you're the reason I go to "Sam Ash" and not to "GC........SHHhhheeeeesh

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, but then you pay more in sales tax.

20. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I also work about 10 minutes away. Nice you have a place to go on lunch and play some nice basses.

I've gone there on lunch breaks a couple of times and came back to the office with a new bass