guitar center is bad news

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soundoholic, Mar 30, 2003.

1. I was at guitar center the other day trying out as many basses as I could. (I'm looking at getting another) And I really noticed the lack in quality of their basses. It seemed that every bass had some issue with their knobs. They would just spin like a top or sometimes fall off. I'm not planning on ever buying a guitar from them. I really enjoyed their selection and prices but they have such little quality control.

What do you folks think about guitar center?
  2. they probably was a loose knob... all ya gotta do is tighten the bolt on the knob.. :)

There's a Guitar Centre here, but I don't know if it's the samething, and IMO wasn't a great shop. Overpriced instruments, that arent even as good as my evil jim deacon :D
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think GC is dropping off quite a bit. I went there last week and was horified! The last time I was out there was last year, and at least they had some high end stuff, but this time, everything was cheap and pretty beat up. I was hoping to see a Thumb Blond Special Edition, but all I saw was a beat Corvette. I'm personally done with that place. Plus, the one by my place has seem to have dropped Ken Smith Strings which I like very much.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That seems to be the business model of all these "big box" stores - push as much as you can back on your vendors. Go to any Home Depot on a weekday morning, and 75% of the warm bodies in the store are vendors scurrying around stocking shelves!

Kudos to KSB for standing up to them! Why have your product in their stores when you have to piss away all your profit?
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I have gone into GC many times where they have has equitment like that. The other day actucally I saw a Fender bass with the P/J combo pick ups. The pick ups had been smashed into the bass and the output jack was was really bad. Mars used to be that way too back in the day.
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The service at GC is aweful. I only use GC to try stuff out now. When I want to buy, I just go on the net' and I can find the item used for cheaper. I found a Line6 Delay 4 for half the price just two days ago.
  7. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Why all the GC bashing? This certainly is not the first thread where I've seen this happen. A loose knob? I'm a professional bassist, I know I can tighten it. Besides, they will order me a new one in a box if I want it. I just think it's a little funny that other customers beat the crap out of the basses and then people come here and complain about the condition of them. Why not start a thread telling our fellow bassists to treat the instruments with a little more respect? Also, it seems a little strange that most of the people that seem to hate GC, are there all the time trying things out. If you don't like the place, go somewhere else, it's that simple. Lastly, I find it ironic that you applaud Mr Smith for trying to make a profit, but condemn GC for the same thing. Would you want to do gigs for free? I wouldn't, that's how I make my living. My point is, whatever business you're in, you're in it to make a profit, not just provide a service for free. Give them a break.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I think dee rob has a valid point. While I've never been to a GC, I've been in stores, where the instruments have taken a tremendous beating. And not just on so-called "cheap stuff" either. I've picked up deluxe Fender basses, where people cranked those tuning pegs so high, they're way abouve pitch-thats gotta put a lot of tension on a neck. I've also seen busted jacks, loose hardware. Sure, over time it can happen from steady use. But it should take a while (if you're not beating the crap out of your bass.)

About the Ken Smith strings-don't know anything about that, so I can't say anything about it.
  9. any one go to the one in boston. some of the guys in there are real nice they want u to buy what u want. there a guy that reminds me of the actor/stonner who plays the really big stonner in half baked. hell come over and start talking about music and walk away with out trying to sell any thing, he just tells u if u want some thing or need help get him.

then u got the dicks pushing stuff.i was messing around with a mesa combo amp,and this guys was asking about another amp for his kid,it was a swr.he asked if it had tubes. the person he was dealing with right away runs to a ampeg amp i think a svt 4 and trys to sell them that because it was a all tube amp. the guy didnt want a tube amp and thats why he was asking about if it had tubes. then when the person asking about the amp tells him that he starts talking **** about how the amp (the swr)will run 4 4x10's and if u get this head and those cabs ull be set. then the guy goes and says he should buy a warwick over a squire for his sons frist bass,ecause he would be a better player.

i know iam not on topic

i saw a new jazz bass missing there that was missing all the knobs.i can under stand the basses being beat ,there the floor modles so u have to give them slack.if u notice all the highend stuff hanging up that doesnt get played much is fine.i think its pretty stupid u can only put stuff on layway for 30 days.

if u want will they order a brane spanking new bass for u?
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I may be the best to comment here. I have been the assistant manager at GC in New Orleans for the last year and half. My store does about $30k in sales a day on average, and sometimes $100k on a good day. 500 people come in that store every day, and about 50% buy something. That leaves 250 people who come in a play/practice/wank everyday, and the gear gets used. Alot. And we are not allowed to ask somebody to stop playing, turn it down, or whatever. Many times parents drop thier kids off here while they go shopping, and we end up babysitting. Invariably, gear gets schmegged. It's hard policing all these people, while still trying to help customers, break out and display gear, etc., etc. Sometimes maintaining the gear falls down the priority list a bit, because every soul there is working on commision, and makes nothing when they setup a bass. GC has sucked the love out of music retailing. Sad, but true.

GC has become a grocery store. Sell a blueburst sparkle Music Man, get another exactly like in 2 days later. Pretty soon the store looks exaclty the same every time you come in: nothing new, nothing exciting. And yes, they do push everything back on the vendors: Fender, Marshall, Crate, Ampeg, Line 6, etc., pay for all thier displays that are in the store. They also pay for the space in thier monthly "buyer's guides" the mail out every month, charging more than it costs for a full page ad in a music magazine. Yet with all this money coming in (they are the first billion dollar company in this industry), they still manage to get thier employees to work 6 days a week for peanuts.

Yesterday was my last day at GC, and will probably not shop there much anymore. Love for music has been replaced for a love of money. Eerily similar to a trend we've been seeing in the music industry at large, no?
  11. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The reason I complain about GC is because the service there is consistantly bad. And I am not judging on just one GC> I am a professional bassist as well and I have dealt with Guitar Centers all over the country. GC comes in handy on the road. Some of the people at GC are nice and some are not. I am not bashing them for making a profit. Not at all. I complained about the service there. Enough bad service over the years can do definitely influence your opinion.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I guess I'm lucky - I haven't had any bad experiences in my local GCs beyond the wanker factor, which really isn't the fault of the employees. My complaint is with corporate GC and how they're busting the chops of the smaller manufacturers...
  13. GC is laced with annoying sales guys, give me a good old Daddy's any day, but it is good to have a backup if daddy's doesn't carry something you want or is temp. out of stock. But I would buy a bass there any day over GC. Just better vibe;)
  14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Haha, I know exactly who you are talking about. I can't think of the actors name, though. I can't say I that I have any complaints about the Boston GC.
  15. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Like Heavy Duty, I haven't experienced bad customer service at my local GC, but that will vary by store.

The only reason I don't like GC as much as other stores is their lack diversity, like basstriaxis said. All you see is Fender, Ibanez, Warwick, and Music Man there. These are fine brand names, but the store is the SAME everytime you go in, no variation! I would like to see something new once and awhile, that's all.

And I agree, it's not GC's faulty the basses get beat up. Customers aren't careful if they know their not actually BUYING something!

16. Haha...that reminds and my friend(Plays Geetar) was at the Local G.C...and When he basically threw a guitar on the ground to go get a pick I went "Dude! what the hell arer you doing?!" and he goes "it's not mine..." I just sighed and continued playing whatever I was playing...but I was there yesterday...and I had a crappy Squier hooked into a LA15 Series SWR combo...just to try the amp out,and I treated both with as much care as I would if they were mine:)

G.C is a bit crappy IMO...all there basses are out of tune and around here,the selection on basses are terrible,prices are kinda steep too:meh:

17. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It seems to me that companies like Guitar Center and Sam Ash are consolidating their "good stuff" into certain stores. Out in L.A., I've noticed that GC and Sam Ash stores are getting a lousy selection of basses now except for the ones in Hollywood.

I'm wondering if that's not what's going on elsewhere.

On the plus side, Amp Shop has started carrying a lot more basses and has a couple of the old L.A. Bass Exchange guys working there. They need a bigger place but it's nice to have a place other than Sam Ash or GC to go and play this stuff.
  18. Maryland? Me too! :p

But I agree with you dude...also alot of the people who just think it's cool to say they played an instrument and don't know how to take care of one come in here...and mess around with 'em and when they mess something up,they look around...and sit it back down.

Also! another thing...look at all the E.Q's on the amps. People turn the Gain and Volume all the way when the next person plugs it in...he gets in trouble by them Evil G.C workers! :mad:

Damnned Volume/Gain Turner Uppers...

19. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i agree with some of the postings,now that i am a little more experienced in the art of purchasing basses i myself would not go to a guitar"super store" to buy my basses,i got lucky on my first bass and wound up with a new in the box one,but now i will only go to a "chain" store to try out different models and brands, i agree its not ALL their fault, people who have no buisness at all,and every facet of guitarist and their mother touch these instruments,i've even seen people picking parts off of guitars(LIKE NOBS,SCREWS AND ANY OTHER PIECES THAT CAN COME OFF EASILY)so its not fair to blame it ALL on them,now on the other hand there is a used music store chain in my town
    (daddys junky music)that blatently sell bogus instruments of all kinds,i believe that if you are
    re-selling pre-owned instruments of any type,they should be given a GOOD once over to make sure they are a playable piece,they on the other hand
    buy it for 1/3 of the re-sale price,throw a price tag on it and sell it AS-IS.thats B.S! they should be the ones that should have to be stuck playing and gigging with those pieces of crap that they are pushing,
    not us! the ones keeping their pockets nice and fat!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :spit: :spit:
  20. I kinda feel sorry for the guys who work there. They probably do the same thing everyday and work with the same insturments everyday. On the other hand I think they should atleast know something about there basses than "yeah thats nice"

I still really like their prices. I can't find a cheaper place for dr hi beams.