Guitar Center Labor Day Sale / General Policy Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickshofner, Sep 5, 2010.

1. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    Hey guys. I received one of the 15% off coupons for the GC sale this weekend. Anyone know if they will honor this on used gear? The exclusion reads:

"Excludes clearance, price-matched and vintage equipment, scratch & dent, gift cards, Pro Coverage"

None of which IMO addresses general used merchandise. Anyone have any experience?

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I did a quick search to no avail.

2. They'll probably point out that used gear could be considered vintage, and scratch-and-dent includes buckle rash on the backside of an instrument! :smug:

3. Patrick, in my experience, they will not honor coupons on used merchandise. "Vintage", to them, means "used". But, hey, go ask.....the worst they can do is say "NO". Best of luck.

Roger

4. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    I assumed that they used the terms "vintage" and "used" as synonyms, but figured I'd ask. Thanks guys!

5. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I got the coupon too. It also says it excludes just about every brand you could name... or maybe that was the Sam Ash coupon... regardless, they're both total ripoffs.

6. RJC1811

RJC1811

Nov 19, 2008
    Canandaigua, NY
    Wait until Tuesday when the local music stores are back open. Go in and tell them you got the GC coupon in the mail but you'd rather but local. They will appreciate that and probably work with you on pricing. In my experience the local guys will usually give you a better deal with the exception of when GC is trying to blow something out. Many times what GC says is a deal is just standard pricing and the local store is more than willing to sell at that price or even better.

7. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    "Vintage" and "used" are not synonymous.

I bought my 2008 P Bass used at Guitar Center in February 2009. It was technically "used," because it had been returned outside of the return period (even though it hadn't been played and still had the plastic on the pickguard), but there is no way that bass could have been considered "vintage" at that time.

8. They have a fair amount of leeway as to what they will or won't do.
    Standing at the register with gear & checkbook/credit card/cash in hand puts you in a pretty powerful bargaining position.

9. I don't really pay attention to the coupons at Guitar Center, because any time I buy anything there I end up negotiating more than 15% off the price anyways. The coupons only apply to the posted price.

Coupon or not, if you're looking to buy something they can always lower the price if you ask. "Is that the lowest you can go on that?" is a powerful set of words!

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hey Patrick. About a year and a half ago, I spotted a used '06 MIM Classic '50s P-Bass. I had a 10% off coupon they had sent in the mail. I was messin' with the bass and the salesman I normally deal with asked if I wanted it. I said, "Can I use my 10% off coupon?" He said, "Absolutely", so I bought it. I don't think they can try to call it "vintage" if it's just your run-of-the-mill used bass. So if it's less than 25 years old and they try to tell you it's considered "vintage", I'd plead my case to the store manager.

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    They told me "no" and the coupon will not work on most products since they are not covered, or they have already been marked to a price that precludes the coupon from being accepted.

It was like being insulted. This would not be the employee's fault, but that of management for tying their hands, or leading them to confuse customers?

12. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I've used previous coupons on used stuff. Remember they probably only have 50% of the tagged priced invested in the used gear. As said above it's always better to have the gear in hand saying "I'll take it if I can use this coupon!"

13. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    15% isn't a huge discount when you're already dealing with big numbers anyway. Besides, negotiation can usually get you an easy 10 or 15% anyway. I was screwing around on a Schecter model P and had some random employee walk up and say "We can get you a 20% discount if you wanna buy it." GC's not hard to negotiate with.

14. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I wouldn't buy anything from GC if I had a 50% off coupon.

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    15% isn`t huge when dealing with small numbers. But it knocks that $1000 bass down to $850. Pretty nice discount to me !

16. Deepak

Deepak

Mar 8, 2008
    MA
    Exactly.

I picked up my Big Al with a coupon during the 4th of July sale, and it wouldn't have made a difference with a handful of cables but it was a decent chunck of change off the price tag of a bass.

17. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    1st rule of fight club - don't talk about the fight club.

2nd rule of fight club - never buy anything from Guitar Center.

18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Okay, so 15% isn't really huge in any situation.

If I wanna go buy a Geddy Lee signature (they go for about 1000) and I get a 15% discount, 850 is still a big chunk of change.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's great. Want a cookie? :eyebrow:

20. Deepak

Deepak

Mar 8, 2008
    MA
    The $150 you save is a decent chunk of change too. Relative to the sale price, yeah 15% is (by definition) a fraction of the cash, but in absolute terms it can be a big deal.

If someone had the change to pick up a Geddy for X dollars, or a Geddy + a Verellen Big Spider for X dollars, which deal would any sane person take?

I can definitely tell you I wouldn't have scoffed at a 15% discount on my last car.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021