1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center Looking Really Seedy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gravedigger Dav, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had to go to GC yesterday to replace the strings I bought from a local Saturday because I broke the G while trying to tune up. I knew I should have replaced the battery in that tuner, but being too lasy to either go to the garage and get a battery or go to my gig bag and get another tuner, I broke the G.

But, to the point. It has been a while since I was in this GC, and I was shocked. The store looked tired. The displays were nothing and the stock was way down. In the bass department, half the hangers are empty and there are almost no new amps on the floor except for an over abundance of Mark Bass cabs and 1 Mark Bass Head. The floors needed vacuuming.

I know GC is having financial problems, but it looks like it is starting to show.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well one location doesn't indicate how the whole franchise is doing. My local GC has plenty of stock when I go in.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    My local GC cut back on stock, too. The remaining stock is heavily skewed towards low end instruments.

If this has any significance beyond keeping fewer instruments in the stores, I have no idea.

4. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    True, but this is a very large store in a high traffic area. Even on Sunday, there was a line waiting to get int when they opened.
    You are aware they are having financial problems, aren't you?

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Vaguely.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
  7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, their financials aren't good, and they're a bad mark on Fenders financials too as they owe them a ton of money.

I don't go to GC much other than for an occasional set of strings, but just at a glance it does seem their stock leans more and more to the budget end of products, and not just in the bass dept. either.

Out of curiosity, may habe to stop in one here and pay closer attention. Craigslist has been my music store for about the last 8-10 years. :D

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Our local GC never really had the best bass dept to begin with.
    It still seems about the same stock, staff and cleanliness wise as always, which was marginal from it's opening.

Haji likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I went to a GC once... it sucked. Although, I was able to actually try out Acoustic amps, some of which were pretty decent.

They had two basses over $1,000 and they were both Stingrays (with awful setups.) Lots of entry level stuff.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

You mention awful setups. That's all I've experienced each and every time I have picked up an instument there. I think they'd sell considerably more, especially higher priced instuments, if they'd just hire somebody to just keep going through the stock doing/checking setups all day. Between basses, acoustic, and electric guitars it'd be a full time job in every store and the guy would still probably be falling behind.

paste and Unrepresented like this.
  11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The GC in Memphis is looking particularly bad these days. The amount of stock they have on hand is incredibly low compared to what they once had. And others have said, it seems as if they really only carry budget end gear these days. It's a shame. I used to love going there.

12. I live in Toronto, Ontario and part of my roughly twice a year trips to Buffalo, New York is to drop by the GC in Tonawanda to see what they have on site. Last time I dropped-in was in December 2012. The goods and foot traffic at the store then was quite healthy (were they already in dire Financial straits at that time?) from what I recall. I was supposed to visit early this month had I been able to source some Hall and Oates tickets for their Tonawanda concert but lucked out on that. Somehow I'm a bit wary of what I might have seen at the store had I gone down last week.

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    L and M just opened a new shop in Ottawa , so that's two here now.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Fort Wayne, IN

A cold wind blows tumbleweeds through the bass section of the local Guitar Center here. At first glance, there appears to be a decent selection of basses to try out, but upon closer inspection, it turns out a good number of them are just tree branches with wires nailed to them. Others have actually petrified into rock. The sales clerk is in a gin-induced coma, underneath a low counter where picks and harmonicas hang from dusty cobwebs, and next to him is a human skull, and that of an animal; possibly a dog.

The lighting is poor in this part of the store, and there is an ever present danger of being robbed by street thugs who huddle in the dark corners, passing the crack pipe, and beating those foolish enough to get within range of their angry, grubby fists. There's a sense of madness enveloping the store, and there are puddles on the floor, where rats swim.

So yeah, I haven't noticed any obvious decline here.

Haji, verycoolname, paste and 5 others like this.
  15. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I stopped at the largest music store near me this morning , which actually has much better selection than any GC I've ever been in. But similar to what you guys are reporting, an awful lot of low-end stuff. Probably 50 basses under $400, 3/4 of those under $300. 6 basses between $400 and $1000 6 basses over $1000. But this probably isn't the busy season for them, people are out doing other things instead of GASSING while trapped by insane weather. At least in the northern hemisphere. I think a cord or a strap is probably the biggest thing I've ever bought at a GC. One used instrument through their on-line store.

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    They can have a 6K$ Warwick with a lousy setup and it won't sell.

The 500 buck Squire with a great setup will sell.

17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey

Ghost riders in the sky!

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Big city L&M's are boobies.

I went to one in Vancouver a few years back and was blown away at the stock and selection. I got to try my first Epifani that day, I knew I was buying one within minutes. I also got to try a Marshall Lemmy stack and buy a pack of DR 6 strings, FROM A SELECTION!!!! At my local L&M they might have some D'addario's in two gauges for 6ers at best. They only carry one kind of DR 4 string and even that is a crapshoot since it isn't always in-stock.

I would think Ottawa has to warrant such a location if they have two L&Ms.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My local one looks great - It's the salespeople, who are seedy. Like the one who asked my 4 year old girl if she would like to open a Guitar Center credit card and then walked away cackling like an evil supervillian.

20. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    The local GC in Beaverton, OR recently did facelift, and it seems as if the "Rumble Room" has shrunk even further. Nothing in there but the same old tired selection, and very few amps to try out. Mostly Markbass, Acoustic, and a few trade-ins. They carry the same selection of strings that every other store in town carries as well. Not even worth going in anymore