Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center [MTD 635] Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jun 6, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Went to Guitar Center in Southfield, MI today and, to my surprise, was able to play an MTD 635! Let me just note that it's the same MTD 635 that's on Ebay right now. That GC sells their nicer equipment all the time. Location: Southfield, is the key.

Norm Stockton (535) was right when he said they make you sound and play better than you normally can. I have little experience with 6 stringers. I sounded horrible on a Warwick 6 I tried. This one made me play chords and grooves and licks better and effortlessly. From the first note, it sounded incredible and pretty much anything you tweak just gives you another very useable tone. I just wish I had the money. :(

The reason I went to GC in the first place was to try out the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I need an envelope filter and despite the price tags and promises of other EFs, this one sounds the absolute best to me. A couple things aren't great about it, but it's the best EF I've ever tried and that includes all EHX EFs.

-Eric.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

Looks nice-I'd love to give one a try.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, my 535 was a real awakening for me. I'm still having trouble getting used to the fact that the EQ is so usable. I'm used to dealing with EQs where if you did more than tweak, it just muddied the tone or added a bunch of hiss. Not that I'm a big fan of radical EQ anyway, but it is amazing how totally functional that EQ is, and how crystal clear the MTD's tone is.

In fact, one of Norm's favorite demos is to play a chord down in the first position, and not just a standard voicing. It sounds like a chord... not mud. Few basses can pull that off like the MTD.

4. oyesipms

oyesipms

Feb 25, 2005
    Yeah, I was in there two weeks ago and played two seventies jazzes (neither of which were worth their salt, IMO) and a pre-EB musicman that I liked quite a bit. When did they move their bass section up to the front? Anyway, the only thing they are lacking is some good amplifiers to compliment the basses.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    After I saw that they had that bass in your post I drove on up there to check it out (I usually go to the Canton store).

Dayum! I forgot how the "plain jane" MTDs are always the best. This bass just sang... It would look so good next to the Q6...

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If that is the one that low down sound had, then it passed through me. It was a nice bright sounding bass, and I love the way those play more than anything. Thas bass was used with the Miraanda Lambert band, been on the Leno show before, a very nice bass.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I liked it when the basses were at the back, but when they moved them upfront they hung up the crappy ones and put the sweet expensive ones on the floor to try out. I agree, the 70's ones were not worth it at all. I'm certainly leaning more and more towards a modern tone.

The playability is just incredible, as many of you know. For a 6 string, it was just too easy to play. I wish I had the money for playability and tone like that. *sigh*

-Eric.