1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center & New Bass Damage from Hanging

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Jul 14, 2019.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Over the last few months I've been noticing that when I go into Guitar Center and take a bass off of the "hook rack", there seems to be various dents - or greater damage - around the neck of the instrument close to the nut.

After closer inspection, a lot of the padded hooks that are used for hanging the basses are no longer padded. It seems that the padding has been worn and/or torn off entirely and the basses are being hung on the racks on bare metal hooks.

I've pointed this out on numerous occasions and get the general response of "we'll have someone look into that". Some of the more expensive basses, I noticed, had extra cloth wrapped around the worn-out hooks. This tells me they already knew about the problem to begin with.

Today there were 2 basses that I played and really liked, but they had more than a moderate amount of damage to the neck because of the hooks. It would make way more sense for me to buy these from an online retailer - someone like Sweetwater - where the damage is less likely and won't affect the resale value of the instrument as much when I, inevitably, decide to sell it myself. Or, of course, try to find it at a local shop like Corner or Eastside music supply (where I've never seen any issue like this before). However, the local guys rarely have the same selection in stock.

Is this just a local phenomenon, or have some of you noticed the same thing?

It's really a shame because they are damaging some otherwise very nice instruments.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    yes

BergerHead and Axstar like this.
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I own a Gibson SG with damage from the hangers. The nitro is chipped off at the two points of contact. Got a good deal from GC because of it, though.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My local GC has anywhere between 95 and 100 basses.
    Not a problem there.
    You're not in Florida or Southern California, are you?

5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Haven't seen that, but I'll keep an eye out and push for a discount if I see it.

TolerancEJ and phillipkregg like this.
  6. I got the "We'll have someone look at that!" response from GC & Sam Ash about stuff, including instruments that are falling apart from lack of maintenance.
    One in particular was a SG bass where the pots were spinning, I noticed this three times & mentioned it twice.

Wisebass, Spidey2112 and phillipkregg like this.
  7. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Nope. Tennessee here.

I don't know why I haven't taken photos by now... the next time I'm in the store I'll grab a few shots of what I'm talking about.

It really sucks to find an otherwise great instrument, but it has damage simply because the store isn't handling them properly.

five7, Wisebass, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  8. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I refuse to do business at Sam Ash ever again. There have been too many instances of me finding issues with a bass - such as cracks in the neck, or non-functioning pickups - and they just blew it off and put the instrument back on the shelf.

If they have that little respect for the customer, they don't deserve my business.

Winslow, fhm555, Ghastly and 3 others like this.
  9. I have never seen this before, but I would certainly be let down to find significant marking/damage on a brand new instrument. They would have to cut the price to sell it to me like that. :D

I am in the Philly area and have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash within 10 miles anywhere I go so if a store starts slipping, people around here will just go on to the next :roflmao:

phillipkregg likes this.
  10. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Not to derail but which GC are you going to? (I see you're in NJ). I go to Oxford valley PA cause it's the closest and they have squat in the bass dept.

11. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Nip it in the bud:
    "We'll have someone look into that!"
    --"Oh, okay then! I'll wait!"
    "...er.. what?"
    --"I'll wait for your guy to look into it. I'm not in a particular hurry today."

12. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    You know what grinds my gears? Seeing a Tele in a hanger! Usually clinging for dear life by the E string tuner! WTH?!?!

Grinds-my-gears.jpg

13. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That would be awesome if it worked liked that.

However, the answer would probably be, "Sure. Feel free to hang out as long as you like. We close at 10pm though."

I'm not the owner of Guitar Center so they don't have to do anything to appease me. They could continue on with business as usual whether or not I'm there. Plus, I actually don't have all day to wait on them.

jamro217 likes this.
  14. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well of course; I was just referring to calling them on the obvious lie of having someone EVER look into [insert issue here].

15. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i get the convenience of hanging, but i'd never ever do it myself, i too have seen damage. i had nitro burn from hanger rubber actually melt into my custom shop p bass a fews years back, it was from the store i bought it from, they didn't mention it. it came from sweden, return too hard, lol but yes i think hangers suck

mikeswals likes this.
  16. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I like to walk around my local Guitar Center with a clipboard and notepad and write down things they could improve. I do this everyday and give them my report but they won’t take me seriously.

17. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I’ve seen that a fair amount, but I’ve also seen a lot of basses with huge chunks of wood taken out of the body. Right now at the one down the street from me, there’s an Aerodyne dinged down to raw wood, there’s a bunch of Squiers with large chips, there’s this one abysmal Fender Telecaster with raw wood on every “corner” of the guitar. Kinda embarrassing ngl

18. Kind of normal for GC where people are able to have access to getting instruments in their hands.

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Cherry Hill...100 basses today.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  20. When I worked at GC we had special hangers we had clamped slightly tighter just for the Teles. Worked great til someone put them back on the wrong one...

PennyroyalWe, Keger Jupit and Tommy V like this.