Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Question-only a quick one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashevans, Dec 25, 2004.

1. ashevans

ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    Just a quick question, have guitar center stopped stocking pedulla basses :confused: ?

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My local GC has a Pedulla Rapture 5. It could be new old stock though.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Not over here...but they havent had a few in awhile.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Mine's got three of them... but they have been there for over two yrs now.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There still dealers, at least listed on the pedulla web site. But their trend seems to be to open a store with a bunch of high end products and after the first year or so they become low to mid end dealers. You can hardly find an american Fender in the store by my house. I don't know if its a marketing strategy ( to put local stores out of bussiness, by not giving them a nich to compete in ) or if they look at the sales numbers and just decide not to reorder the stuff. I still shop there for some recording gear although I'm beginning to do the sweetwater thing more and more, But I try to support the local guys, I'm lucky though, Low Down Sound is right down the street (great bunch of guys). The moral of this SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BASS store. I saw one guy earlier posting a question on trying out some exotic 6 string. GOOD LUCK You almost have to go to the factory!! Also most the good web stores, Low Down, Northwest , and G Gutiars are three I've delt with have a pretty good tryout policy. Please support them, Unless you want to get to the place where you have to play everything thru a MIJ Fender and a crate Amp!

6. GC is the Wal-Mart of music stores--the only difference is the initial feint, where they offer cool gear and ex-cheerleaders in bikinis to lure the customers in.
    Selling commonplace crap at the low prices bulk-buying affords. Because that's how music gets made. :rollno:

7. Bassme

Bassme

Dec 26, 2004
    St-Louis
    if you cant find any, ask a guy to send one in ... or the obvious choice go to another store

8. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    GC is the devil's workshop.

Anyway I use to see a Buzz everynow and then back in the late 90s, and now all I see is new old stock - a Rapture 5, at least at the Arlington, TX GC.

9. I hate GC

they enver seem to have any basses I am truely interested in

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Lowdownsound is where it's at. I was just there earlier this week, such helpful and knowledgeable guys. Plus they've got some wonderful gear.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Props to Lowdown Sound as well as Bass Central.

On GC, the Toledo GC opened with crap, and still has crap, so the initial "high end" stock didn't apply there. The very high end of things they have are a few USA Fenders and a Few USA Musicman. The rest is typical low end GC crap...Korean Schecters, MIM Fenders, Ibanez, low end Yamaha, low end Spector.

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    very rarely. The one in Sacramento had an ET-5 for several years, a blue rapture 5 that I almost bought, and a used MVP fretless once. But, I haven't seen any recently. They always have a huge assortment of Warwick, Ibanez, and Fender though.

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I guess as far as higher-end basses go, the GC in Manchester CT still stocked these basses (at least they were when I was there last Summer) and seemed to have some turnover. When I was last there (again, last Summer), there were EBMM basses including SUBs, Stingray, Sterling, & Bongos. There were Warwick Thumb BO, NT & fretless. There were Fender MIAs, Deluxes and even a 'vintage' for only $2750. There was at least one Pedulla and there's always been a Pedulla there (not the same one) since I started checking the store out a couple years ago.

[edit]
    What does GC do to the basses when they receive them? Of all the basses I've ever tried at GC, only the Pedulla had good action. The SUB I tried had action so low the strings buzzed all over the neck, and the Bongo I tried had sky high action. No two basses in this store have the same action.

They also carry plenty of Schecter, Ibanez, Fender MIM, Squier, Spector as well as whatever's been traded in. At one point they had two Conklin 7 stringers there, but those are long gone.

The other music stores in the area carry pretty much Fender & Peavey basses. I'd have to do an hour drive down to Sam Ash in order to find the bass selection that GC has.

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It must be location / local market driven because the San Bernardino, CA GC has a wall of Warwick, MIA Fenders, Euro Spector, and Musicman basses. They also have tons of mid and low level stuff Squire, Cheap Ibanez, and cheap yamaha stuff. The stores are going to carry what moves. There is no money in high end stuff that sits on the floor.

I have been using GC more lately because they actually have stuff I need. I used to use them for drum gear only but now the local store just doesn't have anything worth buying. I will order a G&L from the local guy if I get in the market for one but other than that all they carry is Epiphone, NOS Danelectro, and some low end Ibanez. He has one G&L L-2000 that has been on the wall for four years.

Unfortunately this looks like the trend of the future. I want to support the small guys but they just don't have the gear to compete with a GC. It's too bad it's getting that way.

15. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I do think that GC has a good selection, but their stuff has all been played to death by EVERYBODY. Nothing is set up or tuned, and theres always some Nu-Metal wanker that wants you to know how loud he is. I use GC for testing purposes only, then I have my local guy order it from whomever.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I bought this Pedulla at the local ATL GC end of last year, it was there for nearly 3 years and I ended up picking it up for really cheap!!!

[​IMG]

This GC currently has about 2-3 Pedullas, 4 'high-end' Warriors, about 10-15 vintage (over priced) Fender P's and J's, a four string alembic distilate, a Ken Smith Burner 5, a Zon or two, bunch of Warwicks... and then the standard fair: SUB's, OLP's, Ibanez, Schecters...

It used to have better stuff when this cat Robbie Geisler was still working there. There have been at least 5 Eshenbaughs that were there as a result of his presence. IIRC Brad Johnson bought his dbl-cutaway Fodera AJ6 at the ATL GC...

Not all of them are evil. :eyebrow:

17. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    why don't i ever see any of that good stuff at the atl guitar center?
    :crying:.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Last time I went into the Columbus OH GC, they had one of those Pedulla's, but in Candy Apple Red.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Where are you located? That might have a bunch to do with the selection.

Actually I had never played an Eshenbaugh till they had a couple at GC-ATL... I think that the GC near Boston Univ. is where I touched a Fodera for the first time..... :oops:

It's funny I was just at GC today during lunchtime for a Digi002 and a BLUeBird mic... It's [Peter Griffin's Voice] frigg'n mobbed[/Peter Griffin's Voice] over there...