1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center raising prices?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JBoucks, Oct 8, 2009.

1. JBoucks

JBoucks

May 9, 2009
    Mansfield, MA
    I got a Guitar Center catalog in the mail today, and I notice a lot of items were raised up in price. I saw the amp I wanted raised $50 more. What the "heck"?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Non-specific music related threads belong in Misc.

Moved.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Musicians Friend has been having almost none stop online sales, so I dunno.

4. They probably need to pay off the govt in fines for price fixing.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I was in my local GC store last week and noticed the same thing. A MusicMan Sterling H, 4-string, with no special bells or whistles is now up to $1,699. A Marcus Miller sig J-Bass was tagged at $1,399... I mean seriously, are you kidding me? Do you want to drive everyone to CL and eBay?

And this after they raped me for $6.50 for a small pack (no more than 12 count) of Fender picks a few weeks ago.

Unless they're trying to increase the appeal of their midline product lines that have more margin. That's the only thing I can figure out.

6. All the more reason to stay the heck out of their stores. IMO of course.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I wonder if it is related to a Supreme Court ruling in June, having to do with the pricing agreements that manufacturers negotiate with retailers. This is not meant to be political, but in fact, the dissenting argument predicted an increase in some consumer prices.

8. more likely that they are not selling as much and are unable to buy in numbers that would give them, and you a price break...the used market is where the bargains are

9. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I only go there to try out gear, find out what I like, then wait for it on CL...lol, that way I stick it to GC and the tax man!