1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center Rant *don't click if you don't want to*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Jan 14, 2017.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    *Again, don't bother to read the thread if rant threads offend you*

So I placed an order for a pair of used studio monitors early one day. The total was about $230. So I sent the payment through Paypal (thank God) and went on with my day. Well, at 6pm that same day I got a notification saying my order was cancelled. I guess they left the page up when they should have deleted it after there first guy bought them but obviously they didn't. The email said something about refunds (5-7 days) and stuff like that. So now I'm kinda pissed because my money's now tied up with Guitar Center (which is never a good thing). I message them saying cancel another order I placed soon after the first one. It was for cables I needed for the monitors. Well they didn't respond and shipped them anyway. So now I'm mad cause I already know I'm not going to be bothered running around trying to return it just to get my $40 back. Ok, so I'll just have some rouge cables lying around. No big deal. Really. I'm a big girl; I can cope.

But I messaged them one more time about my first order and how I kinda want my money back and no response. I can't file a claim because Paypal still has the payment as "pending" (not refund pending but my initial payment) so I'm basically out $230 bucks till something happens... I don't know what or when...

Their site says to allow them 24 hours to respond (even though they usually respond in about 72 hours) and I've done that. I just want my money back and I want to steer clear of GC for a while. Their CS and response times have always been atrocious but this on a new level.

Whenever this happens it annoys me because had they done what they're supposed to, I could've had another pair already being shipped to my door right now :roflmao:

/rant

me iz mad:bored: but i feel better

As you were.

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd "run around" and get my $40 back too. Call them, explain what happened. I bet they'll pay the return shipping. GC can be frustrating but also quite reasonable in most circumstances. Good luck.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Buying anything from their used inventory has always been hit or miss for me. l would demand a free return label also call Paypal they will usually make a call on your behalf to get this resolved. I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread now I'm fired up :)

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  4. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Haha I might start a TB army!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I had a similar thing happen to me recently, but my story had a happy ending.

Bought a used piece of gear from their site and had it shipped. Ended up returning it to my local store, and they credited my card back. They said to expect the credit to show up in 3-5 business days. After 2 weeks with no credit, I called customer service. They said they'd get right on it, and if I didn't see it within a couple days, let them know. The rep even gave me her personal contact info. Another week goes by, and no credit. I try to call/email the rep, and no response after a couple days of waiting. I then call again and get a new rep, and he apologizes and gives me the same story - he'll get right on it, and this time he's going to call ME back within 48 hours to let me know what's going on. 48 hours goes by, and no call. I called his direct line that he gave me and leave a message, and no return call after waiting a few more days.

At this point I got my credit card company to step in and file a claim to get my money back. They refunded me in full, and in the meantime, they attempt to sort it out with GC. Lo and behold, I finally get my refund a couple days after filing the claim, so my credit card company withdrew their refund. All was good then, but it took me over a month to just get GC to do their job. I think what irritated me the most is the constant promising of "yup, we're handling it right now" that was clearly BS. And I never received one call/email from either of the reps that chose to give me their personal contact info.

I won't buy anything else from GC that I don't intend to keep. It's not worth the hassle.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So it is going to take some time to straighten things out because emails were crossed up - part of the fun of dealing on line, rather than going to a store in person. That's how it works.

:rollno:

MJ5150 likes this.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Don't know if you saw my NBD and I already have to return it thread, but it ultimately lead to a similar situation.

It took me over 20 days to get a refund, and I didn't see them act until I opened my PayPal claim.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As I was.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  9. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Perhaps, my instructions (or trigger warning) in the title/beginning of my thread weren't clear enough :smug:

Besides, not everyone has the resources to go to a physical retailer. I know I wasn't about to drive all the way to Ohio, or wherever the item was originally, to pick them up in person :roflmao:

If you would, good on you! But me? I'll pass.

Thisguy likes this.
  10. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Whats weird is it seems the page for the item I "bought" is still up. I got an email saying "I left something in my cart", and there they are. GC is a major troll :D

murphy likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I understand. My point is, it can take time. This is hardly a GC issue. You sent an email to a minimum wage computer op, who had to send the info to a minimum wage warehouse person, who had to ... etc. Never mind it was over the holiday.

I grow weary of the GC bashing. People have chosen to buy everything on line. As a result, physical brick and mortar stores are not everywhere. As a result, we have this. Stop blaming GC.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I've had the same thing happen with a used bass I tried to purchase from GC. Ordered it and it was already sold. My refund happened quickly, however. And the extras that I purchased, I simply returned them to a GC store. Easy enough.

That said, GC is not the only offender. I've had frustrating experiences with other online music-equipment merchants -- Prymaxe, ProAudioStar, Grizzly Guitars, Red Witch, Iron Either, Loopmaster, Nose Pedal, Lava Cable and Jodi Head to name a few. I've expressed my concern about a few here (call it a rant if you like). Thankfully, I never pulled the trigger on those SGD pickups. And I've also been frustrated by the service from venerable online retailers the likes of Lowes, Apple, Pottery Barn, Toys 'r' Us, Nordstrom and Amazon. My point is, it happens -- roll with it.

At least with GC, I was confident I'd get my money back. Some of the others, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  13. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah that's really all I can do. Roll with it

yodedude2 and Stevorebob like this.
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yeah, I'd be a bit peeved too.

Two suggestions though, possibly for next time. First, I wouldn't order through PayPal unless I had no other option. I'm going to guess that has something to do with the amount of time it's going to take to be refunded. The extra PayPal insurance is good for dealing with strangers, but the big online retailers aren't looking to rip anyone off.

Second, for matters like this I think email sucks. I seem to get a lot more accomplished talking with people as opposed to emailing them. It's great to have the written email transactions, but I know from experience that it's much easier to brush people off like that, than if you're talking on a phone.

CB3UK, Ben B, MJ5150 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    "Upon stepping in a pile o'dung you can either b!+*h about how smelly it is or patiently clean your shoe" -wise man @$$

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Who says you can't do both?

Seems as though there's enough time :rolleyes:

17. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    In my situation, I was calling and emailing. The reps were friendly and accommodating on the phone, and seemed genuinely interested in getting my problem solved. But I felt like a month was long enough to wait for my money. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't gotten my credit card company to step in?

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Exactly.

Maybe it was just funny timing, but I think it's interesting that after speaking to six reps action was only taken after I made a dispute.

Their loss. I won't be buying through them again for awhile after that nonsense.

19. HAH! the OP thinks HE has a gripe? A little patience and it's all solved.

Patience? I'll show you patience.....and this is actually not a post critical of GC.

I work at a major public university and we spotted a used Anchor PA system that cost $2000 new in GC's inventory. It was $200. I grabbed it in early November using a university-issued credit card. All cricket, although the university purchasing folks really don't like buying used equipment. I was ready to argue if needed, based on the deal we got.

GC shipped the PA system to my local GC and it was in superb shape, but they charged sales tax on the online sale. We can't pay sales tax - we're a tax exempt agency.

I spent a couple of weeks working on getting a sales tax refund, and then got ahold of the right person at GC. He asked me to bring in the invoice; he'd return the PA system, then re-sell it to me without sales tax. Problem solved, right?

OK, so I went down around December 1st and he returned it, but I didn't get an invoice for the return credit. I let that sit for a while, then got back to him - evidently he got busy and didn't process the second sale.

That got done after I called, and about a week later I got the corrected invoice. Only problem was that on the original sale, they charged California sales tax, and the refund was Colorado sales tax, which was about $3 less. The tax charge and refund didn't match. (This whole deal was only over about $15 in sales tax.) Of course, we also paid the shipping charge, and that was no problem.

I finally called purchasing, explained the situation, and they said they would process the purchase if I attached a memo explaining the sequence of events.

So last week I ended up taking about 30 minutes to write it up, then send the purchase paperwork which ran into four pages, plus the mamo explaining the sequence of events.

Total time elapsed: roughly two months. My time? Including the trips to GC to pick up the PA system and work through the return and re-purchase with them, about 3.5 hours. Let's say that purchasing took around 15-25 minutes to process this and straighten it out.

GC was polite and helpful, once they understood the situation. My purchasing people were also pleasant once they understaood. However, the insistence on reconciling this and investing perhaps 6 times the sales tax cost in staff time is a pain. I'd gladly have paid the sales tax to save this time and process, but that's not permitted. I hosted a staff lunch for four people around the same time, and the restaurant also charged sales tax. I'm still looking to find time to drive there and have the owner refund the $4.50 in sales tax. I'd LOVE to pay the tax, but again, i can't.

I've gotta watch receipts more closely for sales tax issues - because when they arise it costs the state a LOT more for the time I spend getting them straightened out.

yodedude2 likes this.