Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Repair/Set-up Costs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StartingLineBass, Jun 15, 2003.

1. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    My bass needs some repair and I bought it from Guitar Center in December so I will go to them. They have been very friendly in the past.

What I need done is...

Action Work
    OR
    Neck Releif

To much fret buzz on the E string...have't been able to fix it...I think its the neck.

I think I need my pick-ups re-soldered becasue when I play, all of a sudden no sound comes from my bass and I have to "tap" the pickup to bring the sound back.

What I need to know how much money will this cost me.

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    When I got my Pickups installed it was around
    60$, but with a set-up it was extra 40.I think in total it will cost you around 100$.

3. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    My bass is a fender Hoppus. I asked my teacher and he said to just take a alan wrench and turn the truss rod to the left just a little...I experiment but still no luck. When asked about action he said that I should just keep it buzzing because the lowness is perfect. He has never messed with pick-ups before.

By the way my lessons cost $14 each

Spending less than $30.00 is a BIG must

4. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    thanks for the advice...I have been turning a quater turn on the neck every 18 hours or so for the past week, but still have had fret buzz. I really think the pickup needs fixed because the d and g strings sound really good...nice and bright..were as the A and E sound more dead...the E is alot quieter then any other string.

I will give the input jack a shot.

Thanks

5. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    The neck looks straight. The pickups are pretty flat... when I use the screws on the side it just raises the cover not the pick up itself...also the little metal circles do not come out of the cover..the holes are too small..is it supposed to be like that I have never seen a P like that.

6. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Yes those are the pick-ups that I have. I positned them to what you describe..the E is slightly louder...but still quiet. But The pole peices do not come above the cover because the holes in the cover are too small for the pole peices to fit through. I called Guitar Center and they said that is normal, yet every other Hoppus bass they have there does not have the same problem. I have a taken off the pickgaurd and tried to position pickups several times with the same results every time. It is possible that I accidently disconnected a wire along the way. I think tommorow I try the truss rod to the right just a little.

One more thing...there is a strange noise when I play my E unplugged...it seems to be coming from the nut or saddle...I am not sure. It seems to be impairing my bass from sustaining a note. I see if I an get a sound sample.

Thanks a lot for all your help so far!

7. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    Well here is a sound file...

Raising my E makes it worse

The E is just a tad higher then every other saddle

8. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    the strange sound is either coming from the nut or the fret. I put my finger on the where the string "goes through" the little up-side down arch of the nut and no strange sound. I fret the 1st fret...still fret buzz no strange sound.

The crazy part is I set up my 89.00 essex so perfectly...no fret buzz at all. And I get a super exspensive bass and it needs such strong repair.

9. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I meant the nut. where the E string comes out of I put my finger on it and no wierd sound

10. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    ok that worked. no strage noise anymore!

11. Tomzass

Tomzass

Apr 9, 2012
    I have the same problem with my Mark Hoppus bass and i just increased the action and now i dont have any more fret buzz but im thinking of still bringing it to Guitar Center for a tune up.

12. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Wow, almost 9 years between posts. Talk about a zombie thread resurrection!

13. [​IMG]