Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Return (Walk me through this.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Nov 29, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I purchased a GK 1001RB II head the other day. Love this amp. I used GC's 14 month no interest same as cash deal they have going on right now.

Thanks to a Talkbass alum, I found the same head for $200.00 cheaper. I can prove it with an advertisement and an email confirming the price.

I am going back to GC tonight asking them to match the price, or to give me a refund if they do not.

Based on their 30 day return policy, this should not be an issue, right?

What do you think the store manager is going to say?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think he should (and probably will) issue you a refund for the difference pronto. If not, simply return it.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't forget about the 14 months same as cash. Sometimes, on the really, really good deals, they simply won't honor the Same as Cash deals since they are basically paying the interest for you.

I'm sure he'll match the deal, but he might not match the deal, AND offer you same as cash for 14 months.

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Should be no problem. I've been doing it for years with drum equipment and now bass gear.
    If they give you any hassle, just ask for a refund, and then buy it again with a price match. As much as I don't like shopping at the big box stores, you just can't beat GC's price matching policy and their 30 day refund policy. Sam Ash really stinks when it comes to this.
    I'm on such a good level with a couple of local GC stores that I can just walk in and get a "10 up" deal or "pro" deal on anything without asking. You have to do your pricing research when buying gear. Good luck.

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That would be fine. I will pay for it up front to save $200.00.

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    What would be really sweet, is if GC would beat any price by 10%, or even 5%.

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ask them to beat the price or suggest a full refund.

8. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can't hurt to ask. :eyebrow:

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As a former GC employee I can tell you that it is coporate policy to refund you the difference as long as the other amp is new, for sale by an authorized dealer, and not damaged.

If any of those apply, then they cant garauntee the refund.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yeah, the process is simple. Go to the salesperson who sold it to you and say:

"I found this amp for $200 cheaper. Here is where."

Present him with the info needed to confirm the difference.

He will then need to confirm the price. If he can confirm it, he will show his manager who will double check.

The manager will then refund you the difference.

If you paid cash or debit, they will write you a check. If you paid with a credit card they will put the money back on the card.

You leave the store nice and happy.

11. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    What if the salesperson is not at the store tonight. Will they still do the refund?

12. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    yes, they should.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, they'll do it.

If you see the same sales person its best to work with him first though. If you dont, I suggest asking someone to simply page a manager isntead of wasting another salespersons time since every second they spend with you refunding the difference means less time they have to make commision which is really the only way they can make any decent income working there. It wouldnt be fair to hurt another salesperson to fix a sale they werent part of.

14. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, that is good advice.

15. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I took the amp back and not only did GC match the lower price, they let me keep the 14 month same as cash payment plan.

Nice to see GC come through.

Thanks for all your input.

16. wow can you contact me and give me all the info to do this my aim name is mudvayne5061 and my e-mail revengeiseek@gmail.com . i would really like to save 200 bucks and i am doing this in the next few days. please give me the link and tell me what i have to do to do this.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    All you have to do to save $200 is find where he got his price, and bring in proof of that price to Guitar Center, and when you are going to buy from them show them the proof and say that you want them to match the price as their policy says.

18. so when i go to get it i just like print out the page and show them and they will match the price..

....i really need that link if some one knows it can they give it to me please

19. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    You have to go to:

Riks Music

Email them, and say you heard that the GK 1001RB II head was on sale for $600.00 shipped. They will send you an email back to confirm the price.

Then take the email confirmation to GC.

Now, if I did not have a GK 1001 head already, I would have purchased my GK from Riks Music. I do feel bad for using Riks to negotiate a better deal, but again, I already had purchased the head from GC.

Riks Music should be given the business because of their price and good service.

20. alright thank you so much man. I think I might order it from them so i dont have to go buy the GK then bring them the e-mail afterwards. Wow man this really helped me out alot man thank you very very much.