Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Reviews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Oct 12, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well i got bored today and so I thought I'd go out and try some basses. The three I tried were a stingray, a bongo, and an MIA jazz.

The MM stingray was by far my favorite out of the three. It was all black with a maple fretboard (my favorite combo) with the 3 band preamp. Well when i took it down i noticed right away the weight difference from that and my warwick (which i'm going to be selling at BassNW soon for that reason). After some fumbling around i got a great growly tone out of it and now understand what people are talking about when they say the stingray tone.

Next was a MM HH bongo. This was my least favorite, i just couldn't get the right tone i was looking for with this. I think it may have been the # of tone controls being a little more than I like. But the feel of it was real nice and i loved the position of the pickups for fingerstyle. It played great just not the tone i like.

Lastly was the Fender MIA Jazz. this was the same color as the stingray. I got a decent sound out of this too but not as good as the stingray IMO. It slapped real good and played great. The one annoying thing was that the tone knob cover was taken off so that just annoyed but no real bashing on fenders part.

Overall the stingray was by far the best though. The agressive sound and slap-ability was great and just right for my style of playing. And as soon as i sell my Warwick I'll be buying that stingray 4 asap.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Black and maple is my fave too. :)

[​IMG]

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I was in a GC today myself, where I actually found a Warwick that I thought both played and sounded very good, the best actually of any stock Warwick I've ever played. It was a Jazzman, I don't know much about them, this one was tagged as a "Used GC Special Edition" for $1299 or so. 24 fret, bolt on, unmarked maple board. Vol, Blend, treble, bass controls, pretty versatile sounding with the J and MM pickup. Normally I don't like Warwicks, but this one was kinda cool.

4. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah i love the sound of Warwicks, just not the weight that comes with them.