1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center right place at the right time find

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CyberSnyder, Dec 28, 2011.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Was going to make the trek to Bass Specialties yesterday, but it's 2.5 hours away and it was raining so who knows how long it would take to get there. Anyways, was jonesing for some bass gear shopping action and went to my local Guitar Center in Towson. They just got in a frankenjazz - MIM body, '98 US neck with hipshot D-tuner, EMG pickups and two band preamp, Badass II bridge. It looked a little rough like it was all scratched up, but after looking more closely the "scratches" were really just some kind of sticky residue. I don't want to think more on that and we'll just say it was from stickers, heh. It was only $350 so I picked it up. Cleaned everything last night, changed strings, pick guard, put on strap locks, did a setup, added some shielding to the control cavity as there was none and ended up with a really cool bass for very little. So if they sold it for $350 they gave the guy that brought it in no more than $200.

Follow pablomigraine's advice and clean your bass before trading it in at GuitarCenter!!!

And here she is....

6589220957_3100e425fb_z.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's good for metal then? Nice bass!

3. Man,I wish there was music stores around here. You people don't know how good you have it.

4. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    CLEAN

YOUR

TRADE

:hyper:

5. those kind of specs for 350!? nice score!

6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    effing steal bro. I have a 2008 MIM jazz with an 01 MIA maple boarded neck and a BAII and its a total killer. you scored. I paid 240 for just my neck.
    I'm green like Elphiba.

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    That's a beauty. I love to clean up/set up a bass when I snag something a little rough. Good job.

8. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I'll need to tweak the setup a little as the strings settle in, but it plays great. It's not the lightest bass either, but I couldn't pass on the price. Still trying to find out the color. It's a misty green.

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Nice Score!

10. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Mine is on the 'not as light' side as well. But the tone, feel and ultimate playability are ridiculous for the $450 I have into it.
    Oh I think thats the Sage Green Metallic, if Im not wrong.

11. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Looks like Sage Green Metallic to me.

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nice score, a USA neck costs that much so you got everyhting else for free.

Mint 3 ply guard would look killer.

And I vote for SGM for the color too.

13. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have a nice FankenFender Jazz with a Squire body, a Warmoth P neck, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, Schallar "Fender" tuners, and Schaller strap locks.

It's the most expensive "worthless" bass ever. I could never get rid of it unless I sold it piece by piece.

14. That's is a nice color, congrats!

15. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Every time I head up to that GC there is always a killer used bass there. Last time was a natural EBMM stingray that was so nicely worn in. Tagged at $740!

16. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I love my FrankenJazz also that I got in a trade with a friend for a SX old style 5 string jazz with an Audere pre and he knew what I paid up front for it. What I got from him was a MIM 5 string olympic white with a warmoth neck that I have since added a tort pickguard, Audere and vintage noiseless pup's too. Good find you have there enjoy your Frank, LOL.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Nice find for that price. I'll have to stop in and look at their used gear more often.

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I dig that, my friend!

19. very nice. How does it sound?

20. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Just got back from practice and it sounds great. I think the bridge pickup is a little too high, so I need to tweak that but it played well and sounds great. Definitely the best $350 I've spent in awhile. I think I'll throw some Sadowsky knobs on it.