Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GUITAR CENTER RIPOFF

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Feb 10, 2002.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey all, id just like to express my frustration with the fact that guitar center (in grand rapids, michigan) just took advantage of my mom. I asked her to pick up a set of strings for me... 5 string, medium D'Addario XLs. gauges .045-.130. she was wonderful and did exactly that. They were 25 bucks. Not cheap, but not too bad. I also asked her to pick up a single D and a single G for me, as i break those a lot if i lose control while slapping. I asked her to just ask the desk clerk for some similar strings, i wasnt too particular, they were only for emergency use. WELL the clerk gave her two ernie ball slinky singles. thats all fine and dandy, except I got an A and a D. no G. unless im supposed to use a .080 for a G... ok so maybe that was an honest mistake. heres the kicker. the reciept reads like this:

1 DADDARIO EXL170-5 SOFT LONG 5STR BASS STR...24.99

1 ERNIE BALL 1680 .080GA SNGL BASS STR.......8.25

1 ERNIE BALL 1697 .100GA SNGL BASS STR.......9.00

i dunno bout you guys, but i feel as if i have been raped. no better yet, i feel as if they raped my mom. #$&%ers! isnt $17.25 a little much for TWO single strings?? and theyre not even that great to begin with! as you can all see, i am quite angry with this so called "guitar center". when i get back from college for spring break in two weeks they better take back those two singles for a total of $17.25+tax, or they will never hear the end of it.

***i apologize if i upset anyone with the bluntness of my post, i realize there are good people working at guitar center, as well as bad. I am just expressing my frustration over the fact that I feel that they took advantage of a woman purchasing strings who obviously had no idea what she was looking for. (she probably walked up to the counter with my email to her printed out).***

may we all be so lucky.....

2. 25 bucks for 5-string d'addarios is regular dude dont even comment on that.

and 2 singles for 18 bucks is not NORMAL but sometimes places charge LIST price for singles, i would never buy singles from a store-it would be easier to call d-addario and make up some crap about the string came broke and the store wont help u out and they'll mostly likley send u a free pack.

if you felt like your mom got "raped" file a complaint or bomb the place(i mean that as a joke, dont take it serious)LEGAL DEFENSE! just in case you get a little unabomber. :)

3. Yeah, but I bet she gets a good deal when she buys your underwear.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ye damn right she does ;)

in all seriousness though, am i really strange for thinking that charging that much for singles is a bit much?

i wasnt complaining about the set, that was fair enough.

sorry if i came off a little hot headed there. i was.

5. Yes, they did over charge.

I told my mom to take the car to my mechanic for a tune-up 'cause he'll only charge her $150.

She came back with a bill for $600. I called and asked what the deal was and my mechanic said "Why didn't you tell me it was your mother?"

In other words if it doesn't have an actual price tag on it and the shark spots a rube... anything goes.

It's a rotten thing to do, but let it be a lesson to everyone about how Guitar Center does business.

6. list price is an ass..i never got charged list price for anything once GC try to sell me some fast fret for list price i was like PSH!!!!!!!!!!!^(%^% i could just go whack it and a have a protein liquid way superior to any guitar string lubricant!

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thats exactly what i was getting at, Donne. because it was probably painfully obvious that she wasnt shopping for herself, they charged her more, as they knew she wouldnt call em out on it.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    TAKE THEM BACK! I've bought singles from GC, and they've been nowhere near that price!

9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    oh dont worry, i will! and then i will promptly turn around and buy some singles down the road at firehouse music. (local chain)

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    At the store I usually go to (Victor Litz),they charge $4 for replacement GHS strings.Even if its E or G its always $4.:D

Guitar Center=BAD

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I get hot headed real quickly about such things also, but I often realize afterwards that I may have jumped the gun.

Yes - you were overcharged for the strings, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that they were intentionally taking advantage of your mother. It wouldn't serve the salesperson nor the store to do that for a few dollars. If it were a privately owned store perhaps, but not in a big chain store. My guess it that either this is the price they charge for single strings, someone just screwed up somehwere along the line, or the had no clue what to charge and put down the list price (the salespeople aren't always the most knowledgable). They scan most of their prices in anyhow, and I don't think a salesperson could intentionally do something like that even if they wanted to.

I've dealt with lots and lots of music stores, and most of them hate me at this point (I can be a chops-buster), but Guitar Center I've been pretty cool with. They've screwed up a couple times, I went to the manager, and he made me MORE than happy. I bought a little amp once that assured me was brand new - I didn't want to go through the trouble of opening the box - but I didn't want an amp someone had returned. They promised me it was new - I got home, it had cat hair on it, a visibly worn out bottom rubber thingie - I was pissed big time. The manager gave me $100 discount on another amp, plus free strings. I didn't complain after that :).

I'm sure they'll give you a refund without any problems.