1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GUITAR CENTER Scheme's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cbassman55, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Discussion

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Replies

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If someone calls Guitar Center with questions and you get a answer that you believe there sale reps are experienced and knowledgable in there department. I am not one to complain but after my trip to GC and experience, I am no longer a customer of Guitar Center. (Little Rock, AR). I called Guitar Center in Little Rock. I asked a rep about appraising my equipment. I was told they will pay cash to the seller at 60% of the price of new equipment, providing the equipment is in good to excellent, good condition.
    I asked if I could take good quality pictures to send to GC for a close quote as to what I could expect for a quote.
    He told me no, that I would have to bring it in. I explained I had a
    2 hr:45 min trip to Little Rock with my Mesa Boggie Power House Desiel 2-15 EV road ready (anvil high quality) bass cab, and other equipment to sell. My in tensions were to purchase a 800W Mark Bass combo. $999.99/$1200.99 while I was there. Well I get there, we unloaded my cab. Two sales men right away made comments " wow this is the road read bad boy! They seem very interested. "First Scheme"
    One sale rep said we need to test it!. So we headed to the bass section of the store. He placed a Ampeg SVT porta Bass 500 on top, plugged it in. I let him know this cab was in perfect working order and was a bad ass rig. He grabbed a bass but he seem to look for a certain one. He plugged it in and turned up the master full and the gain at 3. Right away it was distorting, I looked at all his knobs and adjusted to all straight up. It was still sounding distorted. Right away, he tells me me speakers were blown! .I told him no way. I asked him if it was a active bass. He said yep. I told him to use a passive bass to try because I told him it sounded like the battery was dead. He grabbed another to plug in, I seen he grabbed another active bass. I said dude, just try a passive bass so we know the battery is not dead. He picked out a passive bass, he plugged it in and it sounded totally awesome. At that point I had second thoughts about trading it in. I told him he should always use a passive to test. But I believe he was trying to use a bass he knew the battery was dead that would cause the speakers to sound blown.
    Once he put it through the paces my cabs passed hands down. He rolled it back to the main room to get a price. Those cabs sold for $1800 + for the anvil road ready Desiel Power house model.
    Can be biamped or full range. The sales man came to me and said he could only give me $250.00 for my Mesa Boggie hand made in the USA made of aircraft construction techniques. I was like man, you got to be kidding me!
    He said he would sell it for $300/$400. He told me that they need to make a profit margin. I told him Guitar Center's profit margins has already took a lost, knowing it took 1 hr 30 minutes for both of them to do everything possible to cut my quote.
    I explain to one of the reps that I seen other used equipment that was Chinese cheap built junk for more money compared to my American made Mesa Boggie 2-15 power house. He decided he would not even go up $50 to $300.00
    I then replaced the front panel anvil case , locked it down and started to roll it back to my van. He said to me, " I thought you wanted to buy a bass rig?". I said yes, I was very interested in a $999.99 Mark Bass but that $50 you could not come up cost you a big time sale. I could see the look on his face.
    I told him I'm done with Guitar Center.
    Years ago, I once went to another music store that I had to drive 3 hours. The manager gave me a $30 cut on the price knowing I had to travel that far. Customers always look for deals knowing most of us are just weekend warriors and won't get rich.
    Sweet Water has a customer satisfication policy. Guitar Center has a customer screw over policy. And finally my rant is over.
    Has any one had a similar experience?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Shops loathe 2nd hand gear.
    It has hazards over which they have little control and must provide a warrant on they own, since the manufacturer won't do it.
    It wastes a lot of employee time, they take a bet at resale value trying to avoid scams and in the end make way less margin than over brand new products.

It's a bad business practice. They need to cover these risks and discourage you at the same time.

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    one lame sales rep isn't proof that all of guitar center sucks. my husband and i have gotten fair value on everything we've ever brought in to hollywood or west l.a. guitar center to sell. in fact, my husband recently got more than we asked for on a CL ad for one of his guitars from the manager at west l.a. GC.

i never expect a GC rep to be knowledgable about gear nor to admit it, and for what they get paid, i wouldn't expect anyone really experienced to work at any kind of retail store, although at times i've been happily surprised by some of them, but more often not. i'm sorry you had such a long drive for nothing

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The tactics used to lowball the price were pretty sleazy - but think about it. NO ONE wants 123 lb cabs anymore. Everyone tries to sell them, and no one wants to buy them. That's just the way it is.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Total BS that said they will pay 60% of new price. I don't think they would give you 60% on a mint, current model speaker. Other than that, nothing you wrote seems unusual or out of place.

Totally agree that the Diesels were awesome cabs, but they are really old and really heavy, so I don't find the low ball offer they made surprising. There are some Diesels on Reverb that were listed two months ago. Chances are they will still be there two months from now. Sometimes you can't even give old cabs away.

Maybe you can get more than $250 if you sell the cab yourself, but then you have to deal with the hassle and wait for a buyer to come along. The only reason to sell to Guitar Center IMHO is for the speed and convenience. It's the same thing when you trade in a car or truck. The dealer typically will pay you less than you can get on the open market. But it's fast and easy transaction.

6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I used to play through those Boogie Road Ready cabs back in the day. Yes, they're well constructed and sound great, but I wouldn't use one now if someone gave it to me free. It took 2 people to lift my 4x10 into the trailer.

The GC rep may not have used the best tactics, but they'd have a hard time selling that cab. It doesn't matter what they sold for originally. They aren't desirable now.

7. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes

Feb 13, 2015
    The only upside of trading in gear is it's quicker and easier than selling privately. If you're lazy, like me, that offsets that lower price GC will give you. Obviously, if you have to drive 2.5 hours to get there, that kind of negates the "easiness". On the other side of the deal, I've purchased alot of used gear from GC and have been satisfied (so far) with the quality and value.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I recently sold some hi-hats to GC, my first time selling there.
    They were very understaffed, and I waited quite a while.
    When the guy finally got to me, he thanked me for waiting, and then rated the cymbals I thought were "good" condition as "very good" to get me a couple extra bucks for my patience.

IME, anyone's GC experience is primarily about the customer service, and that is almost infinitely variable.

9. Sorry, but that is the market now for a cab like that.
    You can not give them away sometimes. :(

bigtone23, mexicant, DJ Bebop and 9 others like this.
  10. The only real problem I have with Guitar Center is that I always seem to find gems like this when I visit...
    GC bad 1.JPG GC bad 2.JPG GC bad 3.JPG GC bad 4.jpg

11. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It’s possible you misheard, they give at most 60% of what they think they can sell it for, but it’ll be more likely closer to 40%.

Many times paying 60% of what something cost new would be charity.

Finally if they offer $250 for your heavy USA Mesa cab, don’t think they offer that for some piece of junk made in China gear, they just would’ve offered about $25. For your edification this was a shoddy negotiation tactic on your part. You stated you saw totally unrelated products made in China for sale (presumably new? Who knows) for more than $250 they were offering you. That says nothing about your deal or the product you’re negotiating over, so how could they increase their offer? You need to keep it focused, “I see these comparable items are selling for X amount of money, so I think you could pay X.

In other words it doesn’t matter what a different product is worth so bringing it up as a negotiation point shows you’ve got nothing else which will cause them to dig in on their offer. Not a good technique for this, but would maybe be a fine retail sales technique when you already “own” both products

Road ready cabs are still awesome and you can sell it locally I bet. But why would you replace that bad boy with some mark bass stuff? Just keep it what amp you rockin?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  12. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended Supporting Member

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    My experience with just about any music store is that trade in gear is a convenience to the customer. You may have paid $1500 for that Mesa cab and another $300 for the road case, but what GC doesn't know is how it was treated or if it's been repaired. Also, they might have to sit on the gear for many months before they find a buyer. On an amp or cab, you're not going to get anything close to the actual value from GC. On an instrument, you might get 50% to 60% of online value. GC exists to sell starter paks and guitar straps. Any money they tie up in trade-in gear is money they can't use for Questlove drum sets. So when you go to trade at GC, cinch up your chastity belt. As usual, your best bet is to sell the old stuff yourself, and hit GC when they have one of those storewide sales going.

13. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    As for price, I think that’s about what any GC will offer you for such a heavy cab. In my experience, they won’t come up on their offer, but depending on the store, some will come off the sale price of your purchase if you use the trade as credit. Also, sometimes a location won’t accept any big stuff if they are choked with used inventory. It’s a bummer to load it up and drive 2-3 hours for no offer at all.

GC’s vary widely in quality of customer service. I’ll omit mention of the bad ones here, but I’ve always has pleasant experiences in Knoxville and Memphis.

14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The demand for your cab is very low. What it cost originally is irrelevant to what it will sell for now. I’m actually surprised they gave you an offer at all. If you offered to drive it to my house and give it to me for free I would pass.

PS - never tell them you have a three hour drive to bring in your gear. They know you don’t want to take it home.

villegastx, Chas49, timplog and 31 others like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    They know better than you what is going to sell, and for how much.

ajkula66, Chas49, bigtone23 and 7 others like this.
  16. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    my experience with gc on trades is this:

- they will test your stuff to see if it works

- they will look up what it has sold for recently, used. Not what people are trying to get for it, but what it actually sold for.

- They will then take the lowest example price of what it sold for, and offer you “maybe” 60%. Some salesman will try to pay less than that, either because of condition, or just because.

- it’s also the case sometimes that they simply don’t want what you are selling... say a digital modeler from 1996, for example.

- your best bet is when they offer “trade-in trade up” deals, where you get 15% off your purchase if you trade toward it.

Imo gc trade in is the quick lowball option, if you don’t want to bother selling it privately, or have had no luck.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    First of all, lol. Second, why the poll? Third, 20 bucks says OP won’t return to this thread for months.

18. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    GC will pay 60% of the price they intend to sell your gear at the USED price. That said, the used price is usually around 60-70% of the new price for an item.

for example: if an item new retails for $1000, GC will usually put it up around $700 used. That means, the seller of the used item probably was paid around $420 by GC.

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    They know every trick in the book to rip you off. Driving a long way is a signal to them that you will let it go for less. That’s expected. You’ll have to sell it privately to get more. Shipping will cost a crazy amount.

20. GC gives you 60% lf what they will try & sell it for, not of what it cost new.
    A lot of times if your trading in, you get a 10% off of the new item as well.

Things depreciate and arent as valuable after a while. I doubt anywhere can commit to giving you 60% of new cost, lots of stuff wont sell for that. I think some stuff goes on closeout at over 60% sometimes?

Butch Bobcat, Lucky Chuck and gebass6 like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.