Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center Scratch and Dent store in KC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I thought I saw someone here refer to usch a thing...can someone tell me where it is so I can check it out next time I'm up there...?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO

It's the Musician's Friend warehouse, and it's off of I-435 and Front St. From I-70 take 435 north about 5 miles--take the Front St. exit. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp (it goes under 435) and turn right at the first stoplight-- I think it's Universal Ave or something like that. The warehouse will be on your right within the first 1/2 mile. Cool?

Let me know when you're coming through-- maybe I can go with you.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent, and thanks!
    Yessir, I'll try to pm you when I come up. Don't know when, but I want to.
    Better leave my credit card at home tho;)

4. I've heard the majority of the stuff there is beat up and not discounted very much.

5. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Went there once did not see a good deal on anything. Much easier to order online.

IMHO

tk

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    You have to talk to the salespeople-- ask them what their bottom line is and sometimes you can walk away with a great deal. It's also a plus if you don't mind working on stuff-- you could end up with a very nice amp that doesn't have an output easily fixed by replacing the in-line fuse. Finally, you have to really look around. You'd be surprised at what you could find.

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I would also imagine it varies from day to day as well. I am a little too far from the place to visit it too regularly.

And I realize my opinion may have been a bit harsher than I intended it to be.

It was fun looking around when I was there.

tk

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    No problem! And you'e right-- the content does vary day-to-day. Are you by Witchita?

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Hoyt, North of Topeka

tk

10. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Wamego anyone?

East of Manhattan?

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Wichita-ish here. I picked up a wireless kit for about 3/4 its original price because "the case was scuffed". It's been serving for about 5 years now (with all the quality you would expect for a VHF receiver).

Friend of mine did just what was mentioned above - found a bass amp that had no output. He actually scavenged a fuse from another amp THERE and ended up with a usable practice amp for like 30 bucks.

BUT the last time I was there (a year or so ago - back when filling up your gas tank didn't require a second mortgage), there were two kinds of merch there - stuff broken so badly that you'd spend more to fix it then it would cost new, and stuff that's actually BRAND NEW and right out of the Musician's Friend warehouse (conveniently right behind the clearance center). I've also been in there when it was full to the brim with quality equipment... I've also been in there when it was almost totally empty.

Just check it out and see what you think. Don't go in with a specific item in mind. Just go in with an idea of what you'd like to spend and an open mind.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Like the G-K MB150E/112 that works and looks 100% I picked up there a few weeks ago for $199? :D

13. yeah, that is nuts.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd suggest you PM or e-mail pmkelly, who happens to work there (not at the scratch & dent shop, but at MF). He might be able to make suggestions of a good time to visit...

:ninja:

;)

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Bastage! :mad: ;)

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    :D

17. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    You won't get a great deal every time you visit, but the more you check back, the more you'll find awesome stuff.

Schecter fretless, brand new, 1 inch scratch by input jack. $190.
    Epiphone El Capitan ABG, brand new, malfunctioning XLR jack. $400 w/ case.
    Epiphone SG guitar and L3 tube amp. Back of guitar scratched all to heck, front pristine. Amp missing a knob. $280 together.
    Boomerang looper. Missing power cord. $290.
    Dean Rhapsody 8-string (octaved). 1/4 inch scratch on back. $400.

Not to mention you can get 90% of the stuff on their website from the warehouse in back at website prices.

My buddy got an Ibanez EDA for $150 there. He saw one with all the hardware stripped out and bought the plain body and neck for $100. Then he saw another one with the neck snapped and body destroyed, but with fine pickups, tuners, etc, and bought that for $50. Went home, put his parts together, and bam.

My dad has bought three or four guitars there (brand new or close to it) in the past couple years for less than 3/4ths of the website price.

The stock is best right after Christmas time. But no later than the second week of January. Also right after graduation time, a lot of parents buy their kids instruments or amps and some get damaged in shipping or returned, and that's where they go to be sold cheap.