Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center setup experience........

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dr. D, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I recently bought an SR300dx at the local guitar center. They made me take one in a box. When I got it home, I noticed there was a bow in the neck. I took it back, and they had their luthier do a setup. I learned a couple of things All luthiers are not the same. and Don't be afraid to do your own setup.

First, I would like to know where thy get these guys that work on their instruments. I had a personal luthier who worked on all my stuff, and he was excellent. Heck, he built guitars. But he isnt around. so I downloaded the Manual.

I went throught the procedures in the manual for the setup. and It isn't Rocket Science. Anyway after Guitar center got through with it, it had a bad string rattle. (not a fret buzz)
    When I finished with it, it had a lower action, no fret buzz, no string rattle, and The sound was astounding. I would have never thought that a little adjustment would make the much difference in the Depth of the bass coming out of this instrument, and the intonation is within 1 cent from 1st to 12th fret.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with this bass now

Just thought this might be worth sharing for the newbies out there.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GC definitely mostly sucks at setup. I do my own, never have, and never will pay someone to do it. (unless they are extremely awesome and do it for very very reasonable price.)

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup, oddly enough. :D

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Excellent Dr. D. I do all my setups too. In some respects, maybe a thread like this would be appropriate in the basses section as well. My suspicion is that a bad setup is the cause of many bad bass reviews.

5. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Yes, I agree. But the Moderator moved it Here. I guess he disagrees.

6. Can I ask where you downloaded this manual? Is it a manual for set up and basic repair? If so I would sure love a copy. Thanks

7. That you very much man, although not as indepth as I was hoping there is a little there I can use.

8. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    try the fender site for mr gearhead, they also have a good manual.

I found everything in that on to set it up properly. One note I will add if you can find a "T" handle allen set. it will help a lot on the truss rod adjustment. I set mine up for a gap of .2 mm amd have no fret buzz at all. Good luck

9. i recently went to get my bass set-up from Long an Mcquade (canadian equvilent to Guitar centre,) and they said it would take 2 weeks....TWO WEEKS, i don;t know any musician who can go two weeks without their instrument, i need mine every saturday and sunday. I went to mr. Grearhead and got the bass setup and printed it off. its alot easier then i ever thought.

Althought they said it would take two weeks. i still love the store. a week after i bought a Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz V, i went in and asked why most MIA Fenders coem with a case but mine didn't, and without any questions the guy came out with a hardshell case for me. i think they have very good customer service just two weeksis a little long of a wait.

kyle

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Let me get this straight - they want you to wait two weeks for a setup, they try and cheat you out of a hardcase that was included in your purchase price and only gave one to you after being caught and you consider them to give good customer service?!? I'm thinking their idea of *great* customer service involves pouring cat urine into your control cavity while replacing your truss rod with peanut butter. :scowl:

11. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005

There's alos that trussrod sticky here that has nice pics :) I setup my pbass finally to something l like!!