1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center should have basses with different strings for testing purposes! *joking!*

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Damn, I wouldn't care if they had five or six of the cheapest basses in the store with a variety of strings, flatwounds, tapewounds, coated strings, etc. Too many strings to try, too many different basses with too many pickup choices...passive or active, too many variables, of course, but it would give people some idea at least.
    I just hate buying strings, putting them on, and finding out that they're not even close to what I want.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This probably the last thing on the list of things Guitar Centers should do.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I take it that you have never run a business.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm just blowing off steam after putting on some new strings. Maybe they'll sound better next month.
    But I would like to "see" what some strings are like before I buy them.
    I realize it isn't very practical for GC to do this, although the store by me has several basses that have been sitting in the store for a year plus and I'd put different strings on them just for the hell of it.

5. Would you care to elaborate further with more detailed info on this seemingly negative experience you're having as to exactly what it is that's getting you all riled up?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you wanna try strings, the best thing to do is buy them. I've tried essentially every bass string in existence aside from a few that I have no interest in. I buy them, try them, and sell them in the classifieds if I don't like them. You could also donate them if you're so inclined. I've recouped maybe half the money I've put into strings. It probably cost me a few hundred bucks over the last several years, but now I know exactly what I like and what I don't. For me, it was worth it.

hdracer likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm not all riled up. I actually have nothing but good experiences with Guitar Center, unlike a number of other board members. This thread isn't entirely serious, but it would still be nice to try out different strings instead of just trying out different basses or amps, etc.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I usually do give my strings away, too, and I'd gladly donate them but the place I've seen posted here wasn't accepting donations the last time I checked.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Alrighty then. Thanks for the clarification.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Seriously, I thought I was one of the few people off on Monday and thought the board didn't have much activity.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The margin on strings is too small to add much overhead to the process. Hell, we'd complain about the setup if they did start this. ;-)

12. DreamError

DreamError

May 30, 2014
    TX
    It's certainly cheaper to try strings out on guitar :smug:

I definitely didn't miss the cost of bass strings while I was away from the instrument.

I don't see Guitar Center having any care in the world about this, though. Sadly, it's just part of the price to play!

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Haven't people done youtube demos here comparing strings?

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't see it as being beneficial anyway because how you perceive a string can change depending on what bass you put it on.

15. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Look, I worked in a music store. What you want, no business will provide.

You're asking the business, for your convenience, to spend 3-4 times what you are going to spend on their product, so that you and 1,000 other shredders can come and smear your snot and dirt into their windings, at which point (end of the 2nd, 3rd day) the strings will sound as dead and lifeless as if they'd been out in the open for eight months.

And frankly, not everybody appears to have this need to try something destructible like a string before they buy. Get over it. Learn what you like and stick with it. Or, even better, learn to work with what you brought home. That's one thing I never get about musicians. You really can't pick the exact thing you want. It is an instrument. it has its own voice. You just have to learn to like it or not.

That is in fact the only choice you ever have.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The more people want to buy on-line to save a few bucks, the more they want their stores to provide (so they can buy on line). Just like people complaining that the store doesn't have a wall full of high end instruments for them to play, when most have no intention of buying.

Folks, I've said this before. The more money you put in the hands of your local store, the more likely they will be to take care of you. They are not there to be your servants - they are there to make a profit.

hhirbe likes this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, I know. This thread wasn't supposed to be taken this seriously.

RichSnyder likes this.
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Check the TB classifieds when looking to try strings on the cheap. I'll always sell the ones I try from anywhere from the cost of shipping to half price, depending on wear.

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Garret Graves likes this.
  20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State