Guitar center stocking

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 10, 2002.

1. The local guitar center has a very small selection of high end basses- the same brands over and over.

They have a wall of warwicks, half a wall of musicmen, half a wall of fenders, and scattered Smiths and Pedullas.

I recently went to a different close guitar center to buy a rack case (the local one didn't have them)

They had the exact same thing, warwicks, musicmen, fenders, and the occasional Smith and Pedulla.

What's going on at GC?
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That's all I ever see at the GC's near me. I've always wondered why they have all the stuff at both the San Jose and Concord stores. Maybe they have contracts or something with those brands? :confused:
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that makers do special productions runs for them.

In other words, GC cuts a deal with a maker for a large quantity and tells them what finishes/hardware/and other details they want and in what quantities. So, a maker like Fender will schedule an entire production run for GC and give them a helluva price on that shipment.

If GC was just ordering a handful of instruments from some maker, they wouldn't get a big price break that gives them a fat profit profit margin and allows them to sustain their big marketing costs.

In short, they offer the gear that gives them the highest profit margins.
  4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    if they're partner's with musicians friend (atleast I thought they were) then why don't they sell spectors at GC?
  5. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    Hmmm... this sounds really interesting. I have to start going to guitar center...
  6. because mars does. most have a gret stock. mars sells warwicks on there site but they stock them.guitar center has stuff mf doesnt.u can buy wariwck wax from mf but not basses and u cant get the wax from gc what gives.
  7. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA

There's like no descent spector dealers within 100 miles of me :(
  8. Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    The GC down here (atlanta) has a wall of warwicks a wall of smiths and a wall of music men. all this is in a small enclosed room. They also have a damn near 2 story high wall of fender. Last time i went there i also saw quite a few conklins and even a fodera, (*drools*) the holy grail.
  9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Probably marketing agreements effect them not selling warwicks on line....I have never seen a smith in a guitar centre (only been in Wa State) but certainly these are basically cookie cutter stores you would not expect a walmart in Georgia to have substantially different stock from one in California, there may be some minor differences but...Guitar Centre is the walmart of the music world, although I find most their prices are not that great there are better deals here in Canada.
  10. i got a u.s.a bassballs pedal for 60 new form a store near my work went to gc later that day selling a used one for 259.i still cant belive i saw that.