1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Studios.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    A Guitar Center just recently opened up near me and I am considering giving lessons through them. I am wondering if anyone has any experience working in one of the Guitar Center Studios and can comment on the environment. I know that much of it has to do with the individuals in the studio but I am just wondering. Apparently they do use a Hal Leonard music curriculum. Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any experience with lessons but figured this would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    I'd be interested to hear from someone taking lessons there too. I figure I'll give it a shot to see how it goes.

3. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Just bumping this up. The vibe was really weird so I am interested in hearing from people to get your thoughts. Getting a bad feeling about it.....but would like to give teaching a shot.

4. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If I wanted lessons I'd never go to gc. I'd hunt down someone local. That being said gc might be a good place to refine to teaching approach and skill.

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    There was one in emeryville, ca and the vibe looked too cool for school so you may be right.

6. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Yeah, my thought too. The pay isn't great and the scheduling seems a bit weird too. They want you to be on the floor if you're not giving lessons. I am not doing it for the money so I might just give it a shot to see how it goes. I know there are pros but am wondering if they outweigh the cons. We'll see, worst that happens is I try it out and find it's not for me.

7. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Exactly. Just the typical GC vibe.