Guitar Center tips??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

do you guys have tips for dealing with guitar center salesmen?

like getting a free case or bag or strings....

i´m going for a Ibanez EDB 605 or BTB405 (same price. around $594) case is not included.

so should i just enter and yell "hey everybody i got CASH :)"

please help!

also, what´s your experience with them?
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

URK!!!! Quick, dial this number: 800-545-8831

When they answer, tell them you want an MTD Kingston ($472) or Heir ($599). You can thank me later! ;)

(Friends don't let friends spend that kind of money on Ibanez)

Actually, the BTB isn't TOO bad, but for less money you can get the Kingston 5, which I guarantee you'll like more. Avoid the EDB stuff, ick ick ick.

I'd get the K5 and a good gigbag, you should be able to come out around $550 with everything from Bass Central. (This is my 4th Kingston post today...).
  3. the Ibanez BTB is nice.. has nice shape, nice sound, etc

the Ibanez EDC705 is way better imho.. fatter sound ( more lows ), sweet (!) body and killer action.. this baby is FAST !! and it's only $ 525

as for the bags, etc.. If they don't include at least a soft bag.. they suck.. i always buy my stuff at the same store, coz they have real good service.. they always include a bag when you buy a bass.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is a tough one. I would say it belongs it BASSES based upon where the discussion is going. Sorry if there are any disagreements, I'll try harder form now on.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Jazzbo i already have a BTB vs EDB thread on BASSES forum...

i wanted tips for buying from guitar center...

but oh well :)
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The key to getting a good deal anywhere is preparation (and be business-like).

Be prepared: know what you're considering buying, what a good deal is on it, where else you can get it, etc.

Be walk: If you can't get what you want for what you want to get it for (see above for realistic expectations)...leave. No tantrums, no foul language, no insults..."Thanks for your time, I guess I'll need to look elsewhere" should be as harsh as it gets. See ya.

One of the members here posted about a trip he made (over an hour's drive IIRC) to a store only to find out they were closing an hour earlier than advertised. He was rushed by them and bought a bass from them. IMO unless I absolutely needed something for a gig immediately after leaving the store there's no way I'd buy anything from them without some concession on their part. That's just me.

Sometimes, when salespeople see you really, really want something, they understand that that gives them leverage. Curb your enthusiasm.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    thanks brad, of course i´m going very prepared... that´s why i´m opening these threads :)

i have searched for prices on many basses lately... so i´m pretty tough to get fooled...

actually i´m pretty much a nice person, kind of polite too :)
    (only 30% bastard :D)

thaks for your tips man!
  8. I think the saying goes, let Big Wheel deal with it! :D
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First, I do exactly what Gard advises about Bass Central. I been hunting high and low for components for a custom bass and they consistently offer, IME;

- the lowest prices
    - the shortest time to get something if they don't have what I want in the store

Besides, if you get shammed, you can always come back here and beat on Gard! ;)
  10. Best tip for dealing with Guitar Center? Easy....DON'T. If you've got other options on where to buy your bass go for it and avoid GC. I've walked in there twice with CASH in hand knowing what I wanted and ready to buy and couldn't get any decent help from those dolts. I walked out and bought elsewhere.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JetGlow - I guess it doesn't help to be famous either. In the newest Bass Player, Juan Nelson mentions he walked into Guitar Center, tried out an MTD, and said he "had to leave it there." (It was sold when he came back).

Jeez, the place should've begged him to take it and try it out. :rolleyes:
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm 4%, :D
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I don't doubt this for a minute but...

I wouldn't write off all GC's because of that. As easy as it would be to bash the big chain(s) I've developed relationships at my local one and guess what?... I 've gotten some extremely good deals there and always great service.

OTOH we have a nationally known local store that I've received fairly poor treatment at. Guess where I shop?
  14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i guess you all are right about GC but think about my situation... i don´t have any relationship with any store... i don´t know any store (except bizarre drums and guitar store... where i bought my MIM a year ago)...

also i don´t have much time to "make relationship" with store owners....

i also have the great option of visit "Bass place". i have already emailed Dennis Meredith... he seems like a nice guy... the bad thing is that they dont sell ibanez or yamaha...

but i guess i´ll visit them first... maybe i find a good used fiver...

oh, and GARD... thanks for the info... believe me i would love to shop in your store... but there´s a large distance :D man... i´ll travel next year... maybe i could include your store as a MUST ;)

thanks everybody...
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, my GC story is that on each of my last 3 visits, I was able to procure a set of DR Hi Beams each time for $16. I've developed a bit of a relationship with the accessories manager. He knows I'll keep coming back and giving him my business if he keeps treating me right! And, he's also imparted some interesting knowledge along the way, as well!

But, that's not to say that bad experiences aren't had at that same store...just make sure you pick the RIGHT sales person and make sure he knows that you'll buy if he's willing to deal;)

Once you find he's willing to deal, I'd keep a relationship with that person...try buying strings on occasion only from that person. That way he/she knows you mean business and are willing to give him/her some business in the future;)
  16. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    If you decide to buy an Ibanez at GC, you might want to have them match a price quoted from, which for some reason has very low prices on Ibanez basses, such as $433 for the BTB-405. :)
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If I were looking for a nice five in your price range it would be the MTD Kingston. I haven't played anything in that price range that compares to it.

The fact that it has room for modification doesn't hurt either. I can imagine that bass with Bart MM and J pickups and a U-Retro:D
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    everyone says that about MTD!

maybe i´ll check them out...

can i remove the pickguard... it´s the only thing i have against that bass...
  19. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes,the pickguard on mine came off the day after I got it.I put dark varnish on the exposed part of the neck,and IMO it looks way better like that.
  20. this doesn't relate specifically to the topic, but i don't feel like starting a new guitar center thread. anyway, the last time i went to guitar center, like last week, a kid picked up a guitar and started playing the intro to "sweet child o' mine" so horribly. no discernible tempo, squealing distortion, etc, and that's when i decided to leave.

so i just went again last night to decide if i want a maple or rosewood fingerboard for my next bass, and when i walked in, there was somebody mangling "sweet child o' mine" in the exact same way. i just about fell over laughing.

by the way, maple won. and as i was demoing, about 3 people came up and said stuff like "wow, how long have you been playing" and such. that always makes me feel good. :D