Guitar Center Used Policy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slaphancock, Sep 25, 2002.

1. slaphancock

Feb 13, 2002
    I just bought a used aguilar gs115 from guitarcenter a couple weeks ago. Sounds nice and thick in the store, but when I get it home it sounds like crap. I take it BACK to the store, and it sounds fine running on other heads--so it's my head right? Wrong. I try out some of their heads, and then head over (no pun) to another store. With their heads, my cab sounds like crap again.

I take it apart, since it sounds like something is vibrating against the cone, but I don't see anything. I end up sending it away to be inspected by a speaker tech--but I'm wondering whether or not I can take it back to guitar center (after having disassembling it).

Do other people have trouble with the GS115 coming apart on them? It's only in the low frequencies, and sounds like a mechanical (not electric) buzz.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You didn't take your head to GC to show them what the problem was?

It's rare that a cab, played at the same volume, the same way (technique and tone), through different amps, will not exhibit the same problem. That's strange.

So where is the speaker now? Did you leave any details out of this story?

I doubt GC will know whether the speaker has been removed or not.
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I've had the real treat to deal with guitar center a few times and as far as I'm concerned they can kiss my a$& I don't care how much you can save or how cool there stuff is. Not trying to bash them just bad history with-em
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Not to be a contrarian but... well ok, I'll be a contrarian.

If you go into GC expecting the kind of service you might get from a place like BassNW or Bass Central, you must be the kind of person who walks into a K-mart and gets upset that the guy at the "Hi-Fi" section doesn't know the difference between a CD and a DVD. GC is a volume seller and shopping there definitely puts the burden of knowledge on the shopper (which is generally why their prices are tough to beat). I have no beef with GC since I don't expect that much from them in terms of service.

Regarding the cab, there are so many variables going on there... I seem to recall a 10 day return policy on used items at the Boston GC. You may want to contact Aguilar anyway, they are very nice and helpful people.
  5. slaphancock

Feb 13, 2002
    Well, for the record, GC has a 30-day return policy for used items.

In terms of what parts of the story I left out, I've sent the cabinet to Fresno where a speaker tech is taking a look at it. I will probably end up returning the cab and trying to find it somewhere else.

Yeah, guitar center isn't very helpful. Just a story: when I first went in to look at cabs, the salesman kept pushing an Eden 4x10 cabinet that had at least one speaker driver completely blown. I got him to agree that the speaker was blown, and then he asks, "so how does she sound otherwise?" huh?
  6. See I just dont get this - I know of at least 3 stores in St. Louis that will meet OR beat any GC price. I bought my Fender FMT from a local shop for hundreds less than GC would have sold one, and I know it was well treated.

I hate GC with a passion, purely based on their crappy service and the condition of the guitars hanging on their walls. If you are willing to put up with crap service in the world ...... then thats all you'll ever get.

btw, on topic, i have no idea what their return policy on used gear is :)
  7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    30 days, same condition, no questions asked.

Pretty tough to beat locally.
  8. yea maybe, until they tell you "that nick wasnt in the bass when you bought it" and then try to stiff you.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds like somethings definitely wrong with the cab.

I have an Aguilar GS 115 that I bought used from BassCentral (thanks Gard!), and its low, tight and powerful. Gard shipped it up from Florida to Ohio in 3 days and a cheap rate. Always go with a good dealer, no matter where they are at.
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool. The only return I ever made was a 97 Alembic Series that was NOS.