1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center Visit Facepalm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shovelbone, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    So I am killing some time recently while the wife is shopping in this new mall. I realize there is a GC close by that I have never had the opportunity to visit so I head on over to just look around. I find a MIM Jazz hanging on the Used Section wall so I grab it and start to pluck away. So along comes the sales guy and he asked if I would like to plug it in so I agree and we plug it in to the little acoustic combo. He then starts to lay the sales pitch on me. Great bass.... super price..... sounds great..... I can make you a great deal on it. I tell him that I am not really interested and that I have been very careful about bringing basses home since I bought my Sadowsky a while back. Adding that bringing home another bass would not sit well with my better half. Sales guy asked "Who makes Sadowsky?" I give him the whole story about Roger Sadowsky and he goes to get another sales guy and brings him over and ask me to repeat the Sadowsky story. The second sales guy responds..."oh yea...the people that make those Fender Jazz copies!"

metallicafan18 and Michael4bass like this.
  2. Oh the ignorance.... Its awful. In their defence they aren't trained on brands. And the bass department has a blurb in training about a pharagraph long. Everything else is just training on guitars.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm just here to play this. No intention of buying whatsoever since I own a *ahem* Sadowsky...

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The second sales guy was accurate, btw...

5. QFT

6. Any bass with the Jazz or Precision design is a direct copy of Leo's design.
    What bugs me is that G&L was Leo's best work, but doesn't get recognized like Fender stuff does.

Kukulkan61 and TJH3113 like this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had instruments from 3 of Leo Fender's companies and while G&Ls are is as good as, they're not inherently really any better than the others. All his companies are essentially a snapshot of the technology of the time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    gjohnson441496 likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Duh. That's why it's called "guitar" center, not " bass" center.

Rocker949, TheBear, Mike N and 2 others like this.
  9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Before talkbass I would have asked the same thing.

Also they do technically make Fender clones.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  10. and thats why its called a Bass Guitar..................electric guitar, acoustic guitar, classic guitar, bass guitar, all guitars.

Shovelbone likes this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Nope. Look at the logo. They specialize in 6 string guitars. Basses are just kind of a second thought. As are drums and keys. Kinda like the way Burger King sells salads, too.

When Guitar Center just opened up, they had no bass, drums, keys or anything else. Only guitars. And it was like that for the first 5 years they were in business.

800px-Guitar_Center_logo.svg.

Last, but probably most importantly, their staff are trained to NOT acknowlege the existence of any independent builders or boutique brands. They're required to refer to them as "copies" of brands that they sell. If none fit the bill, they are told to go with whatever comes closest. It's part of the training.

Oh yeah... and I almost forgot... if you could find one of their early logos, where the 6 string guitar is in the current logo, it used to be a big "G", and on top in very small letters was written "6 string". Kinda like this:

6 string
    Guitar Center

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    petrus61, 5544 and Bassist4Eris like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I think a big part of this comes from the mind set of " Buddy Holly played Fender, James Jamerson played Fender, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray etc. etc." syndrome..IMO

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    ...but their logo is an acoustic guitar.

Doesn't shouldn't they only carry acoustic guitars? :woot:

Dominic DeCosa and Joe Nerve like this.
  14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    They change it up from time to time with an electric guitar pic. I'd post that logo but I'm on my phone and I have a rough time linking things from here.

15. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I don't care about the history of Guitar Center or what words come out of the mouths of the people there. I'm just glad I only have to drive ten minutes to a big box store full of guitar crap. If only they sold beer and pizza, it would be a true one stop shop.

vmabus, petrus61 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Any ridiculous story that involves GC isn't even questioned anymore. Not indicating the story is false, just that nothing surprises us at this point.

Rocker949 likes this.
  17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    What is ridiculous about a clerk in "Yonderville, Georgia" not being familiar with a NYC Boutique brand that his store does not offer?

TheBear, petrus61 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Nothing, but if you sold cars at a Ford dealership and a potential customer texts you about trading in a Rolls Royce, you should at least be able to recognize what the relative value of one is. In this case, the conversation didn't involve any transaction, but possibly could have.

Rocker949 likes this.
  19. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Ridiculous and GC kinda go hand in hand right?

20. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    If it was a Sire, I am sure that they would have understood.

petrus61 likes this.