Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanqubus, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    A few weeks ago I went to Guitar Center and tried out an Ampeg 8x10. I didn't really like it, didn't seem like I could get very loud without the speakers breaking up. I thought maybe cause the bass was too high but it was only half way up, thats where I usually have it. I thought this was very strange cause I have an Ampeg 6x10 and it seemes like my 6x10 can get louder. I saw somewhere that Guitar Center didn't treat their amps very well, and the 8x10 looked like it had been there a while, completely covered in dust. Is it possible one of the speakers was blown and thats why it sounded so bad? I am going back this weekend and taking my head and my bass. I was planning on getting the 8x10 cause all the bands I like play with them and I like those guys sound, and I thought it would be louder than the 6x10, but if it isn't then there is really no point in getting it. Thanks ahead of time, Jordan.

2. umm...whats your queston? :meh:

3. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Do you guys think that maybe one of the speakers was blown, or that maybe there was something else wrong, cause my 6x10 can get much louder than the 8x10 did.

4. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I hate GC. Their instruments are usually beat to death as are the amps, cabs, etc. Most likely, that's been a floor model for a long time and lots of slap happy kids have overdriven the life out of it. Wouldn't surprise me if there were something wrong with it. Can't comment on whether or not it's a blown speaker or some amp settings, too many variables without knowing more.

Dave

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I once bought an SWR Super Redhead from GC and I brought it back once I noticed it had been well used and abused, and that one of the speaker cones was creased. They stuck it right back out on the floor, too. The manager even instructed an employee to put it back out, right in front of me... so I can only assume that this "new" amp had probably been out the door at least once before.

I traded the Redhead towards an SM-900, but I insisted on getting one new, in the box. They were happy to oblige me on that one...

The lesson I learned that day: Caveat Emptor

6. Its great to enjoy the tones of your favorite players, but why try to create your own sound?

I'm sorry, why am I here? :confused: I have never been to a GC, but was planning on doing some shopping there to test out some basses(but not necessarily buy one).
    Thank you guys for uncovering the filthy under-belly of the beast that is Guitar Center.

Glenn

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If your 6-10 cab is loud enough, why get an 8-10? Just because all the guys you play with like the 8-10 cab? After the gig, make sure they help you navigate it up a narrow stairway drunk at 3am...and if it accidantally kills one of you, it can be used as a coffin too!

Seriously though, GC is a high volume retail CHAIN that wants to make money. The love and care us obsessed bass players have for our instruments and gear is not shared by GC...it devestates me to see hand crafted Pedullas banged up and neglected at GC. For those of you that have no real alternative but GC, I'm truley sorry. For those of you that do have local shops run by real people/musicians that respect instruments and the people that play/buy them...shame on you if you do not support these shops. Sure, I could probably haggle the price of a set of strings at GC down to a lower price than I would pay at my local shop Larry Morgan (family owned small business)...but I would rather pay the same or even a small amount more so that customer service, respect and quality come with the sale.

8. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    The funny thing about that is givin the fact that GC is such a large chain and all, most of the time their prices are still higher than most other stores I've been too. A lot of times they won't even deal on the price much. Odd huh? You'd think the large chain would have a little more lattitude based on volume.

Dave

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Actually, for me it was a good thing that GC beat the crap out of the amp I bought. It was used, the screen was duct taped on, and foot and two wheels were missing.

However, it is still in perfect playing condition. So I got it for hundreds less than I should of!

It is the top-of-the-line Ampeg 4x10 (Svt...something, something, something). I also bought a new GK head there which I have no complaints of.

Usually, the GC is a terrible place to buy an instrument. The prices are so jacked up! But I got very lucky.

P.S. The bass amp is still in its original beat-up condition. I was going to fix it, but then decided that it looked to Jaco-ish to fix.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow....I have never cast such a hateful eye at the GC near me.

I have yet to find any new basses beat to hell, any new amps trashed, or any new cabinets played out. All of the OLP's, Squiers, and "cheaper" quality basses are on the floor. The nice Warwicks, Stingrays, and such are hanging on the wall where only 6' 5" and above guys like me can reach them. :)

You guys must shop at GC's in a ghetto. The guys in the guitar department here are "real musicians". They "respect the instruments", AND those that buy them. I do not feel ashamed one bit for shopping at GC instead of the local "mom and pop" music store. Why? Because the one near me charges more than GC consistently. They charge more because there are plenty of gear snobs with the "I only shop at local stores with real musicians, and I want to support them instead of some national chain". So they do it. Is there service WAY better? Nope. Will they piss and moan if I need to return an amp a couple weeks after I buy it? Yep. GC has always treated me well, and is my first choice for whatever I need.

-Mike

11. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I live in a smaller city and we have 3 local music stores with no national type chain (GC'ish)
    Definitely I'd like most to spend my dollars localy....and MANY times I have gone head to head with the local merchants trying to get em to work the price down, to close the deal.....My feelings honestly are very strong as to the worthlessness of these type o dealers....with the internet I can get anything they have or sell at a better price, often an incredibly better price....and even when I haggle with em, stressing my desire to drop the scrilla "localy" they condesendingly treat me as if I need to learn a thing or 2 about "retail sales"....now if I am spending anywhere from $500.00 - multiple thousands on professional gear, you better believe I am going to price compare and look for value. I see these stores now(GC included) as a place to "test" the gear that I buy offa the net barely minutes after leaving those ego havens staffed by wana be rock stars that act if I should be their "roadie"....In fact all the alot of the great gear I now use, I got offa EBAY and (lovingly) the wonderful TB inhabitants (thanks Bassguru, Oh and Mike I hope all worked out for you with that 410xlt) TB IS AWSOMWE!!!

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's why you always ask, "You got a new one in the box?" To which they answer, "Uhhh, lemme check ... uhhh, nope, that's the only one we got." To which you reply, "OK. I guess I'll go find some place that has one in the box." To which they respond, "Well, wait a minute, we may have just gotten one in that hasn't made it onto the computer yet. Lemme go check upstairs." After 45 minutes, they return, saying, "Well, you lucked out! We just got one in!" Then you get what you want. You just have to know how to work it.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My experience is just the opposite. I can ALWAYS get a price lower than the internet at GC, usually MUCH lower.

14. Different stores have different Employees, different employees think DIFFERENTLY, what do you think they grow a buncha clones then ship them to work at all the guitar centers???? if you live in a different area of course your experience is gonna be different.

15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wait, they don't grow a buncha clones?

Aww man.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It helps to spend over $10,000 a year there, too.

17. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    The GC's I've been to around here have clerks...who often don't know squat. If you go in, you better know what you want, because they usually won't be able to help much.

The stuff is just stuck out on the floor, like at Target. Anything try-out-able is probably set for the sound of elephant turds dropping into mud.

According to what I hear, that isn't unusual, it's the same elsewhere.

I'm not saying the stores are trashed, just that they don't make much of an effort to be professional. They will "let you buy" the products, they don't "sell" the products.

They don't know enough to direct a person to something that they would want. Suggestions are often more along the lines of "we sell a lot of those over there", without relating to the style and needs of the buyer.

And yes I know there are good GC stores, too. It depends on the manager and the way sales go at the individual store. And probably on the number of local starving musicians whose musical education did not stop at thrash metal too......

I remember when if you went into GC you were instantly nabbed by a salesperson. It was actually sometimes annoying if you were "looking", since they were kinda hard to get to leave you alone. Its a lot different these days.

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    And, as has been suggested in other GC threads, it helps if you're over 30 or so. I've seen the sales peeps knock a couple a Green Day-riff-playing teenie boppers aside trying to get to me.

...and you've reached an age of even greater respectability, right Munj? Well, I suppose the ten grand doesn't hurt, either...

;)