Guitar center?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SenorQueso, Oct 12, 2005.

1. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    Not sure if this is where this is supposed to be posted.

I've never been to a guitar center, and I was wondering if they're like Sam Ash. As in none of the basses working, and the staff not knowing anything about the things you're checking out, the staff being A holes, and that whole ordeal.

Because I really don't want to walk into the place and be dispointed, so I wanted to get the opinions of a few people.
  2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I think it depends on the particular store. The one in my community is a nice place to visit - friendly staff, basses work, amps work, lots of choices, plenty of accessories. I always try to go during the week while school is in session so I can hear myself think. Avoid it religiously on Saturdays.

I bought my MMSR4 there, and since they didn't have it in stock, they had it sent by one of their nearby stores. It was perfect, as in it had never even been on the showroom floor. I made 'em match my best internet price AND pay the sales tax on it.
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've never been to a Sam Ash. Replace "Sam Ash" with "Guitar Center" in your post above and you pretty much have it. Although I'll give them credit, not too many of the staff are @holes, or at least you can't tell, since they avoid customers. Sometimes their ignorance is a good thing, and you can score something old and cool pretty cheaply. I stop in when I am near one, usually a quick power walk around the place, 10 minutes and I'm out. The 1 cool cheap thing I find every couple years keeps me coming back.
  4. So......

One for;
    One against.

Both stores in my area are fine and has a fair selection and good guys to talk to.

I don't see what your problem is. Just go in! Doesn't cost you anything to walk into a store!!!

Of course, walking out may cost you the price of a new bass and later on a bass head, and later on more strings, and later on an effects pedal, yadda, yadda, yadda! At least that's what I've found there, so far. ;)

Just do it. It's a great place to just go in and play basses and try stuff out. Have fun! :bassist:
  5. the store here(new orleans)is great. dont buy the insurance tho..they a** rape u on that. i have an ibanez acoustic and a 40 pound pit bull puppy that didnt agree one day. she knocked it off the stand onto my hardwood floor and the headstock completly broke off. the insurance refused to cover it because it was an external force. am i wrong but isnt that what insurance is for,,if it wasnt an external force the warranty would cover it. i had to gorrilla glue it back on. worked like a charm but u can c where it broke
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Guitar Center is a great place to look for deals. And yes, they allow you to play those top dollar basses even if they know you ain't buying anything. Just grab that $1200 Bongo off the hook and have at it through the Ampeg SVTCL driving the 8X10. Then put it back and leave. A 15 yo kid will not get such indulgences in a snotty "real" music shop.

Just know your stuff before you walk in and you'll be fine. Just as folks who work at Fry's aren't computer experts, ppl who work at GC aren't always musicians.
  7. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I have had loads of bad experiences with GC. I think that whenever I walk in there looking to buy something I triple think out my decision.
  8. hear hear metal guy is right play every thing in the store you like but really think it threw.keep going back to the store.i have 2 near my house 1 really sucks,the staff, layout,gear.and the other is great staff knows what there talking about every thing is not beat up and the bass room has a good layout. they want you to pickup everything even if your not buying.

i seen 2 kids in there on a monday at like 6 pm bought some strings and listened to a 15 year old on bass and a 16 year old on guitar. i said to the cashier thoose two are pritty good for how young they are. she said ya they come in every day and play for 3-4 hours im like huh cool practice with out a purchase.
  9. Is there a hidden GC that no one told me about? The only one I know (Elmwood) sucks like an Oreck. Apparently your mileage has varied, so take this all with a grain of salt.

10. So...what exactly "sucks" about the store by you? Be specific and we'll compare to others. I would think that there's a management problem with that particular store if it's so bad compared to the others. Time to call the corporate offices!
  11. I posted this another time, but cannot find the thread....

Yes, it was a management issue (I overheard one of the managers inform the sales guy how to screw me on a trade). I emailed corporate. They were quite prompt with their response. They also told me I'd hear from the store manager within 4 days. That was April. If I can find the email, I'll PM you (no need to reprint the whole story).

I do not hate GC. I hate that GC.

12. You know, I think I vaguely remember that thread. Sorry they were such a pain! Sounds like that manager needs to find a different job!

Good luck!
  13. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Guitar Center is no different than any other store that belongs to a large chain. Some of the locations are great, and some are big pits with disgruntled employees and bad merchandising.

The one I go to all the time is the North Dallas Guitar Center. I know some of the sales staff fairly well, and they treat me with respect. Of course, that probably has NOTHING to do with the fact that I spend so much money there. :D

I think I average about 3 trips a month or more. I'm always buying strings, cables, stands, and recently purchased an amp and cabinet. I'm working with the guitar dept. manager on a Spector bass. I haven't decided which one I want to buy. The only ones they carry in the store are the $399 Performer series, and I want a better model. All that aside, I know that if I go to that store and work with that particular employee, I will have a great experience.

The store in Plano, on the flipside, is much worse. Very small bass room, no one to help you, and snobby employees. If you're not looking at a Warwick, they don't want to help you.

The same comparisons can be made of different locations of Best Buy, Circuit City, or even McDonalds. It all depends on the management and employee staff at a given store. If people like their job and the managers do a great job recognizing and inspiring people, the place will run like a well-oiled machine. If not, it's a pit with pissy employees.
  14. I agree. I boycott the others you've mentioned if I receive similar service. For the original poster: count on some good deals if you walk in at the right time. Don't expect anything more than mediocre service. If you know what you want, the service won't be an issue. If you need help.....God Bless.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC can rule, and it can blow. It all depends.
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I love the GC.
    Dig this.
    I bought a Fender USA 57 P-bass at GC.
    Payed with credit card.
    3/4 of the way threw tranaction, someone pulls out plug for
    computer. My card number was on recpit, but did not go threw to credit company.
    I never get billed for bass.
    After 3 mon., I call GC, and tell them I never payed for bass.
    Thay said they do not make mistakes, and not to worry about it.
    My kind of store?
  17. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm not crazy about Guitar Center, but I go in there a lot. The salesmen remind me a lot of used car salesmen. It's kind of funny.

They have good deals once in a while, but with any large chain, you'll run into QC issues. One of the other problems with GC, and the fact that they let little kids play around with all of the equipment is B.G.S. or Battered Guitar Syndrome.

Has anyone noticed that they ask way more for their equipment on their eBay auctions then what the items are worth in most cases?
  18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    All their used equipment is overpriced. They want you to buy new equipment after all.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can negotiate the price on used gear down substantially.
  20. ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I have just started going to guitar shops after about 5-6 years of avoiding them and I used to find everything I could ever want from guitar center especially the Boston store. Everything from Spector,Warwick,12 string Hamers,Tobias etc....all top end when I go there I can literally walk through their bass department without even finding something that catches my eye. They seem to have brought in all the same stuff you can buy from musicians friend or made in Korea stuff but with the bigger names on Spector, B.C.Rich, Tobias,etc. It seems like they are more concerned with selling stuff by it's name rather than the quality although they do seem to be pretty reasonable on their six string acoustics.