Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center's Fourth of July Sale - worth it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by illidian, Jul 2, 2005.

1. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've heard stories of steals at their Memorial Day Sale, and figure'd that I would ask here to see if the Fourth sale is any good.

And yes, I know Guitar Center is an evil empire, but if they've got anything for sale at a low enough cost...

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The majority of their sales are no biggie-they have one every month or s0- except for the finacing they offer if you have a GC credit card. Occasionally they'll have some Stingrays at good prices. Go and check it out-you don't lose anything by looking.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Yea, I know about those sales. They mark things up with a different pricetag at the same price.

I've heard about some real steals ($500 Bongo, anyone?) at some of their major holiday sales, and figure'd someone will tell me if it's worth my time to get out there.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It depends. I think they might have discounts similar to the Memorial Day sale again this weekend which would definetly mean its worth it.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I may give it a shot.

Nothin else to do, cept for work at like 8...i get out like 1ish, see if anything good is left, lol

6. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    The Guitar Center mail advertisement pamphlet or whatever said that the entire month of July would be sale time at Guitar Centers. I live a few hours away from any GC so I have not felt going to see if this was true or not.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I only go for one-offs they're blowing out. I get much better prices than their mark-downs any ol' time. I got a Neumann KMS-105 mic for $300 once and an AKG C-4000B for $200. There can be some good deals if you're lucky, but it's no big deal on the $5 and $10 mark-downs on pedals and stuff.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Mostly you will only see really deep mark downs on gear from companies that have just gone out of business.

Usually my first clue that some company was in trouble was when I saw a great price on their stuff at GC. A month later I'll hear they are gone.

I got an Acoustic B-4 head for $200...then Acoustic was gone.

I got an all-tube, 35W, 2x12 Bedrock guitar amp for $250...then Bedrock was gone.

All the time, man.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Every month they have certain items on sale, but the 4th of July sale will have lower prices on a lot of the items in the store.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm going to GC first thing in the morning. I might get lucky although I doubt if i will see a $500 Bongo!

11. I got my PLX 3002 during one of those green tag sales for $700. Wasn't a bad deal.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just got back from both St. Louis GCs and it was ok. There were no great knock out prices but I am real tempted to get a Warwick fretless Corvette.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Northern Sound and Light sells them for close to that every day of the week.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Lord Valve probably has them even cheaper.

15. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I went to GC today. No deals at all. There was a used dinged up mexican P bass. it was marked 300 for regular days. I only had 180 on me. I couldn't even get them to go down to 250. Pedals weren't even cheap! The boss overdrive pedal i went to buy in the first place only had 10 bucks knocked.

16. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I scoped them out Sunday for anything decent, since I was just sitting around the house.

They had some stuff that I was interested in, but their prices were rediculous. They had an SWR Henry 8x8 cab, for $700 ($400 last time I was there, and I was tempted the last time). They also had a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse Jr. for $600 (again, $400 last time I was there). I thought that they may have them at low prices today (the 4th) for the sale, but I wasn't going to worry about it.

I played what bass I could (two fighting wankers in the same niche as I was), and nothing cried out, "Buy me!" The MIM's were low-to-average quality (one had a good neck, set up for super-low action with no buzzing at all, but the body was weak and not resonant at all). The other basses I played were just what I was expecting. I need a bass while mine goes into the shop as well, so I wasn't going in with the, "I don't need a bass right now," attitude.

The best part of my trip was a salesman never came by to bother me. :D

17. They didn't have layaway though. I could have saved up the money, but being a teenager with a lot of interests, it was better for me to do layaway so that I'd actaully get around to buying it.