1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center's knowledgeable staff does it again.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I has time to kill today, so I stopped at GC to play gear I have no intention on buying. I plugged into some combo they had a cable hooked up to.

I ended up chatting with guy who was trying to have me "upgrade" my gear. I told him I have a SVT head and cab, among other quality items, and that I did not intend on buying a new amp right now.

That's when he tried selling me some used and beat up SWR 500 watt 210 combo, and how it will "blow away" a SVT-CL and a 810 fridge.

The dude looked crazy, since I was partly scared and partly looking for some cheap entertainment, I plugged into the SWR and played. It farted out like crazy, I think the drivers were damaged. He then told me I was playing wrong, took a bass and started to (at least that's what I think he was trying to do) slap. The bass was out of tune, and it looked like he was having a fist flight with it......and losing.

Obviously he was misinformed and wrong. On a normal day I would have just ignored him and went about my business. But for some stupid reason, I went on to explain the obvious to him. He got really mad, mumbled to himself a bit, and called me an inexperienced greenhorn. The dude was a tool, even if I was wrong, on earth acts like that?

He then went on to help another person. He told her the only difference between a Squier and Fender is the wood they're made out of. That Squiers are made from alder and Fenders are made out of mahogany. :confused:

I don't get upset when people don't have right information, nor am I one of those people who goes around looking to prove people wrong. But it kills me this dude is recommending gear to people who might not have the right information.

When he said "blow away" I wonder if he meant the SWR is louder; or if he meant that if you place an 810 and SVT head next to the SWR combo and then turned the SWR up, the Ampeg rig would blow away like a plastic bag in the wind.

He said he owned one, maybe I should believe his experience, I never ACTUALLY A/B'ed the two :p.

I wonder if the video below is a scene from outside his house from when he last played through his SWR 210:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bocbWLTd8PY

2. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    So don't shop at guitar center then.

3. Dang. Well even crack heads need a place to work and apparently GC no longer requires a person to have any meaningful music knowledge or customer service skills.

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Really? Do we need another thread every time someone has a poor customer service experience?

5. Some people feel compelled to rant and somehow this is deemed relevant to the amp section. What ever...

6. svt1233

svt1233 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    This story is obviously 100% factual guys. Just another GC sucks circlejerk on TB

7. BlackThursday

BlackThursday

Mar 17, 2013
    Obviously, creis2, they saw you coming:

GC Salesman: Man, I'm so tired of having to deal with all the know-it-all a$$holes that come in here all the time. Nobody warned me about that when I took this job.

GC Saleswoman: Yah, like, look at that dude over there by the basses--obviously, like, a total ....

GC Salesman: Yeah, like that guy. Dude will totally pose like he has a vintage SVT or some **** like that when he can't even afford that used P.O.S. SWR that's been on the floor for a year. I'm gonna go (talk) with him for awhile and then go get lunch. Want me to bring you a sammy?

GC Saleswoman: An albacore with extra sprouts would be awesome, thanks. Hey, don't forget to tell him that real Fenders are made of mahogany--that always ***** them up!

GC Salesman: Yeah totally. Then he'll say that next week he's going to bring in, like, a 7-string Fodera or something like that, in case we have any hand-wired point-to-point tube amps on the floor.

Mutual laughter ensues.

They probably appreciated you for bringing a little levity into their dreary meaningless lives. At least you have that.

8. Glorious, I was about to post something along those lines, minus the cunningly disguised swear words!

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Maybe the guy knew your game and decided to yank your chain. It sucks getting the run around from people who act like they're going to buy something and then don't.

10. The only reason GC seems to have a monopoly on sales associates like the one creis2 describes is because all the mom-and-pop music stores and most record stores are out of business.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Crack head? No that was Definitely a meth head most crack heads believe it or not know their instruments :)

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest

I can't stop laughing this is too funny I always imagined what those little tools were talking about when I came in the store :)

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The only question that should ever be asked in a GC is: "What's your best price?" followed by "Nuh-uh...let me talk to your manager". If approached by a salesperson, simply say (in your best Foghorn Leghorn voice) "I say...go away, son...you're botherin' me".

In all fairness, some of the guys in the Audio / PA dept. are pretty savvy.

Riis

14. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I agree they keep the smart ones in the back.

15. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

The guys at the Wilmington De GC are not like that at all. They are helpful and not pushy and have not offered me advise if I did not ask for it. I guess it depends on which one you go to, like any other retailer you go to

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    For the most part, I have had positive experiences at GC. The only exceptions have been when one of their employees told me that GK heads were made in Europe and could not be used with Ampeg cabs because the electricity is different.

Another time, I was looking for a used Eden 410 cab. I saw one located at a local GC on their website. So I went to the store and asked about it. I see an employee who also happened to be a guitar player in my friend's band and ask him about the cab. He is in his mid 50's and has been playing a long time. I ask about the cab and he says "Eden, never heard of it". I said "Yes Eden". He says, "Like the Garden of Eden, like Barbara Eden?" Another employee heard the conversation and informed me that the cab was in the back room with a blown speaker.

Last night, I received a customer courtesy call asking about a recent purchase. I bought a $20 strap last week. This guy named Alan calls and says that he is calling to discuss my recent purchase. I inform him that it's not a good time because my mother just passed away. He says "It will only take a few minutes". Now, I am getting angry but I said "I'm sorry but it's really not a good time. Like I said, my mother just passed away". You would think he would say something like "Sorry for your loss" of "my condolences". No. Instead he says "Okay Dude, I'll give you a call some other time, take it easy Bro". By the way, Bro and Dude are 2 words that I never use and hate being called.

Having said all this, I have shopped GC for many years and have easily spent close to $20K during that time. The vast majority of experiences have been positive. My biggest complaint is that their bass inventory is very limited.

17. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I don't see a problem with it. A poor customer service experience is valuable information if you are planning a purchase. Forewarned is forearmed.
    But if you don't care, you don't have to read it - I routinely skip threads about Jaco's tone. I'm just sayin'...

18. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Guitar center provides thousands of people jobs, some just might think they know what they're talking about and don't. If you're interested in spending tons of cash on equipment, it's your own fault if you don't do the research and ratings before hand, not the salesman entirely. It's just like going to auto parts stores which I happen to know for a fact they don't like hiring know it all's, they're just there to provide good people with jobs.

19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Just NEVER, EVER trade in anything at GC. They will RIP you off HARD.
    They typically will give you 50% of what you would get on CL or even FLEBAY.

20. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

One of the GC's close to me has been great to me, and my gear. Love it.
    Not the exact same feel as the shop my parents, and other relatives had been doing business with since before I was born, but that is an era gone by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.