Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center's Musician's Choice?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rowka, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    A GC just opened up over the weekend. They have their house brand of strings "Musician's Choice" on sale, $40 for 6 packs. About $7 a set.
    Anyone ever try them? How bad can they be?

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    the "Musician's Choice" are GHS Boomers ?
    when i was in LA guitar center they told it's their main strings company... :meh:

3. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    If that's true, that's awesome!!!

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd heard differently, that the "Musician's Choice" strings were whichever brand GC had gotten the best uber-quantity discount on. They buy like 500 billion strings and rebadge them as their own brand. When those run out they get some more from whoever is selling the cheapest in quantity. Some they might be Boomers one month, Rotosound the next, etc.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That could be true, but I would bet that the string business is more consistent than you think, and I doubt that any one of the major producers has mega-quantities of strings laying around that need to move fast. I would bet that GC has a contract with one of those major brands for a year, maybe longer. It just wouldn't make sense for them to keep negotiating around with all the big manufacturers constantly, just to get a basement price on a batch of strings, plus, what would they do if they couldn't come up with any for any given period of time?
    I hope they actually are Boomers...I'll be going to my local GC to check them out.

6. Cool. I'll check it out at lunch today.
    :hyper: NEW TOY STORE :hyper: