Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Center's new return policy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Sep 5, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Went shopping at GC on Labor Day to see if any bargains were to be had.

As I received my receipt, the salesperson slipped it in a little sleeve which explains their revised return policy...nice that they didn't say anything BEFORE I handed over the cash...actually, she didn't say anything about it. Only when I went back in and bought another item, did a different sales person mention that the sleeve outlined their new return policy.

The changes stem from what I assume is GC getting tired of being an equipment lender for short term projects...(can't blame them really).

They now limit the return period to 14 days (down from 30) and charge a 15% restocking fee on "open-box returns" of Rackmount Signal Processors (as well as DJ gear, recording devices, studio monitors, fog and lighting equipment,etc.).

I don't know if that applies to Line 6 stuff but probably does on compressors, processors, EQ, etc.

More to come, I'm sure:spit:

2. Aww dude...

Thats lame.

Still,you can't blame 'em. It's basically borrowing something for 1 gig or something...

:meh:

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    In terms of the bottom line, they probably got tired of people abusing the return policy.

As mentioned before, there's little profit in being an overglorified gear library. Frankly. the 30 days was far too generous to begin with.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont blame them one bit, im surprised it wasnt already like that long ago.

5. if you need a store w\ old school return policies, you can always go to a local music store....

never really liked guitar center...especially the one by me..

6. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Wow! I coincidentally just considered my first GC purchase in three years a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to do it because of the 15% bit of the return policy. Looks like I just missed my opportunity.

While I agree I can't blame them, it does put me in a hole. I'd love to try/buy a SansAmp DI, but what matters completely to me is how it sounds when combined with my project studio, not what I *think* I hear in the din at the store as I plug up an alien bass into whatever combo we can find.

No sale for me.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't blame them but I'd expect their customer service and policies to go even further down hill now that their they only national store around. Guitar Center the Starbucks of instrument retailers:rolleyes: .

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    HooBass...I don't think the SABDDI would fall under the 14 day/15% rule. I think you would still get 30 day/100% back...but you should ask first...

FiXeR...here in the Chicago area we have a number of Sam Ash stores too... almost as many as GCs. But the small stores are still biting the dust. The Sound Post who had two or three locations is finally going out of business. They were the US distributor of Schrack basses too...

9. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Huh... "The new, improved Guitar Center! Now with 75% less reason to go than before!"

:rolleyes: Screw 'em. Give me a small mom and pop store any day of the week. Friggin' Craptar Center anyway...

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm aware there are other chain stores out there but hardly anyone on this board does'nt have a GC near them. The Seattle area locations are not that bad. Better than Austin, Tx. though not as good as Houston. Luckily though I've got BASS NW down the street so a majority of my business goes there:cool: .

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My closest GC is in Paramus, NJ and its about an hour and a little away from me. Not TOO bad.

12. I like the basses I can find at Guitar Center, but the one by me has A-hole employee's that are only nice if you're 100% certain about buying something that day, as well as this new return policy...they can take their humbuckers and stick 'em you know where...

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I can't entirely knock GC. I've had some good luck scoring my MIA P Bass there. But they're a business, and that's now their policy.

I can understand your frustration not having the ability to "test" new gear to see if it works for you. You can always ask the upper management for a extended period to try something out. Just set ground rules with them(if they are compliant), AND GET IT IN WRITING.

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't be FOOLED.

A chain like this takes the cost of all the returns directly back from their vendors. I know, as a professional fish sales pimp, all of our customers hit us for return charges. And the big retailers are the worst. They are covered on the item, the return, box damages and their LOST PROFIT.

Now they are making an extra 15% as well, so they sure are happy to see you saps come marching in with that compressor you didn't like and leave them some of your money as well.

That's the reality of it.

I've said it before, support college radio, and support the mom and pop stores, usually run by fellow musicians, no less.

Thor

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ... ,he says while wearing Levis and Gap, drinking a Pepsi, eating at McDonalds, on his AT&T Wireless phone, that he bought at the mall, on his was to Safeway.

Just kidding. ;) :D

16. For all our Australian members, it looks as if you will have GC sometime in the next 12 to 24 months. It is industry knowledge (I'm in the industry) that they are looking for a ready established chain to take over.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Very true. I worked for GC for a year and a half, and also have a background in purchasing for a mutli-store music chain. It's an un-ethical business practice, but when you are the biggest game in the world you can dictate the rules. The whole company is OBSESSED with the bottom line, the money. Ethics and care for people be damned. Support your independents, or you will find yourself not having the choice.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I work at Guitar Center and would like to let you know that the pedal is almost definetly exempt from the new policy and is still 30 days money back no problems no BS no 15% restocking fee, but the rackmount might be a little iffy.

My advice, talk to the manager and ask him. He has the power to say "Ill let it slide" and let you take it home with the standard policy. I took back a set of strings that were beyond the 30 day return limit just by telling my manager what was up.

WE WANT SATISFIED CUSTOMERS!

Just talk to them.

Peace
    Nick

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Humbuckers are still covered by the 30 day 100% retrun policy.;) :D

Peace
    Nick

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe the fat cat corporate owners are covered, but remeber that really friendly sales person that hooked up all the gear for you, and went up stairs into the warehouse to get you that piece of gear you wanted then took off as much as he could from the price of the item (even though it meant less commision for him) so that you would continue to come back as his customer?

Well that guy just lost all the commision he made from the origional sale. Guitar Center pays minimum wage (less than actually) + commision. That guy that went through all the trouble for you is now hurtin for cash.

Peace
    Nick