1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Chord Progressions/Chords.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by santucci218, Feb 29, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I am working on acoustic guitar. I was wondering if there were any books that showed you chords, as well as how to make chord progressions.

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    There are a billion books that "show chords".

What are you looking for in particular?

Pick up a chord dictionary (I have one from Mel Bay - I think).

A dictionary is good if you're looking to learn how to finger a chord in a specific position. It's a good place to start...

As far as progressions go, there are some common ones:

V - I
    I - IV - V
    ii - V - I

(if you don't understand that... do some reading on music theory - see below)

But, playing anything that sounds good is correct.

Do some reading on music theory, and this stuff (slowly - unless you have an instructor) starts to come together.

Either way, here's a good place to start (Wikipedia is such a helpful tool because if you don't know a term, you can usually just click the link to what it is you don't know and learn what it is):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progressions

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    There's a lot of chord charts if you do an image search on Google. They'll get you started. Anyway, there's a lot of variations how to play certain chords and mostly you only find the most simple variation in these chord charts. Very often, it is not the variation that sounds the best in the context you need the chord. Barre chords are essential to learn to find the variation you want.

Play around with the chords you find by moving or adding notes to them. Look up which note(s) in a chord is the tonic, where you have the third and fifth, and what notes you need to add/change if you want to turn the chord into let's say a sus4, dom7, maj7, m7, 9 chord.

This should get you started.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I know basic chords and i know that i should use passing and neighboring tones to make up progressions, but i wasnt sure if there was a book that just listed standards or not.

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Simple songs I've noticed have all the arpeggios in the scale. I haven't been able to study this in more complicated songs.