Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Chords

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robert betty, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I'm pretty new so if this tread has been done recently, please don't chastise me too hard.

Recently the salesman at the music store in my neighborhood told me I practically had to buy a new top of the line guitar cord, that the 15 dollar one I was using was not allowing the full potential of my guitar, (I play a Modulus).

I wanted to ask everybody their opinions. Do the high dollar guitar cords, such as Monster, really make a difference in clarity and sound or is this just a bunch of sales pitch stuff??

2. I think you mean cord or cable, not chord.

A chord is a set of notes played concurrently.

The quality of the cord has a small effect only on the frequency range transmission of bass instruments. However, cheap cords are often poorly put together and poorly shielded, which can lead to hum, crackle and drop-off of signal.

Better quality cords like Monster, DiMarzio and Planet Waves not only help avoid these problems, most of them have lifetime warranties.

Do a search on "Cables" and "Cords" to see a whole series of interesting comments from others.

And hopefully there aren't too many smarta$$ comments about the title of the thread.;)

3. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Not to mention Guitar Center will replace Monster Cables when you bring em in.

4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I use Monster cables. I bought one of their instrument cables with a 90 jack on one end for my Jazz bass. At rehearsal, we all had a good laugh over the fact that it was specially designed for a bass guitar.

Here's what they say on their website:
    Performer 500 Monster Bass™ Instrument Cable
    Dual heavy-gauge bass conductors and Time Correct® windings deliver extended low end frequency response, wide dynamic range and emphasize strong, solid sound qualities. Bass specific construction with MicroFiber® is engineered to provide quick transients and full harmonics. Monster BASS is built with an extra-dense shield and low-noise dielectrics to reduce outside interference and hum. Heavy-duty 24k gold-plated plugs with strain relief ensure the best signal transfer and a reliable connection year after year.

I still find it hard to believe that there would be a different instrument cable for a bass. I do notice that they don't crackle when you walk all over them, and you only ever have to pay through the nose once.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    $15? Crap.. That is cheap...

Then Again, I like cloth chords...

6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea $15 is kinda cheap. I buy higher quality cords, particularly Planet Waves. My older cords gave me a little buzz to my sound that I wanted to get rid of and the more expensives cords didn't have the buzz.