Guitar Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Is there any major tonal difference in using a guitar chorus pedal for bass? I've noticed that the Boss Bass Chorus (the only bass chorus I know of) has an adjustable filter for letting the low end through unaffected, but it's also rather expensive. Any opinions?
  2. As with so many things, money is key here.

Most guitar choruses, in order to improve the clarity of the effect, simply cut out a large amount of low frequencies (usually starting at 200 Hz) and modulate the rest. The result is the standard '80s chorus tone--you know what I'm talking about. One example of this is the Boss CE-series, or the Electro-Harmonix choruses.

Better pedals, such as the TC Electronics and EBS units, have a low-pass filter wired in parallel to a high-pass filter. The signal going through the HPF is modulated, while the signal going through the LPF is simply put back into the modulated signal. The result is clear note definition and low-end while allowing previously unattainable levels of chorusing.

I had a TC Chorus. It sounded fabulous--rich and yet not too "vintage." I sold it to pay for my Eden WT-300, though.