Guitar cutters

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Looking for a bass that'll cut straight through any guitar.
    Thinking along the lines of a MM Stingray

Also after a good effects seup
    I'm gonna start with a Dynamic Filter and a Electroharmonix Bassballs, but I'm looking for something to give me lots of punch when playing slap
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    some basses known for being easily recognizable and "cutty" in the mix are, IMHO ...

- the Stingray, like you mentioned. although they aren't particularly versatile and don't have enough bottom-end for my liking, they're a nice simple bass with an awesome re-sale value (providing you don't mess with anything).

- Spectors. the growl of these beauties is impossible to ignore, and the funky "honk" they have in the upper registers is oh-so appealing. i play a Spector, and man, it's FAT :D

- Kubicki X-Factor's. GODDAMN is all i can say. everything about these basses is incredible ... i don't really know why they aren't used by more bassists ... guess they look kind of strange :eek:

- fretless Jazz's. contrary to what many may believe, Jaco was never buried :)
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    both stingray and spector ( I speak for mine that is a ns5cr) cut very well. in my opinion the spector, equipped with the emg soapbars, is more fat and full in sound. i prefer spector, but when speaking about so good bass it's all a matter of personal taste.try a stingray, a czech or usa spector, G&L l2500 and you'll have a good idea of where to start.
    good luck
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Modulus Quantum basses with their graphite necks cut real well. You can get them with EMG pups or Barts, but the EMG pups will probably cut better.

You can help the "cut factor" by boosting the mids on you amp. Although it may not sound good to you when you play by yourself, it will definitely help you cut through the mix when playing with a band.
  5. i think he was cremated, so that's true, although probably not what you meant. ;)

tell your guitarist to cut his bass frequencies. when guitarists play alone, it sounds great to have a thick tone with a lot of bass, but in a band setting it's a no-no. some of them don't realize that without a little kick in the yeah.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Excellent point. Sometimes the best way to hear one thing better is not to boost it but to reduce something else. This is often true for live and studio mixing in general as well.
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    & don't scoop your mids!
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I, like many others here, play in a bigger band. I have to cut through guitar, keys, and a horn sections. Bump up the mids where appropriate. In most of the Ska tunes I do that's called for.

Playing with a monitor helps a bunch. Consider that just because you aren't hearing yourself doesn't mean you're too quiet. You may not realize your sound is coming through in the back of the room because everything is so loud up on stage. Using a monitor lets you hear yourself without having to boost up in the mix (which only causes the guitarist to get louder too for the same reasons). Often times I'd listen to playback (not from the board) where there's just too much of me.

I use a Thumb Bolt-on 5'er and get nice barking mids and bust-a-gut lows. My only complaint is that I have a hard time adjusting to a "mellower" more generic tone for typical radio play tunes. I'm getting a Jazz as a back up and for those selections.
  9. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    belive it or not but my little jay turser cutts through very well
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In addition to other good selections mentioned like MM's and Modulus---

Boring and tired as it may sound, the old workhorse Precision does the job, (I never played an MIM, so I'm not talking about those). String it up with some DR Hi Beams or Rotosound 66's.

But you can get a bass that seems like it will slice like a scapel and it won't cut through much of anything without an amp that lets you be a beast. You can scoop your mids all you want with the right rig and still be a force in the mix.

My SansAmp Bass Driver really has added to my impact in the mix. That sucker will give you Mike Tyson punch when you slap. I have to hold back on mine or I'm just obnoxious in the mix.
  11. I think I read somewhere on talkbass once a while back about boosting at or around 800 Hz. I tried it in my eleven piece band and I can be heard just fine without being to loud. I can actually turn my volume down and still cut through well. My singers love that!
  12. Warwicks cut through better than any other bass I've ever heard, in my opinion. They also have incredible slap tone. I was at a concert last night and the bassist for one of the bands was playing a Streamer Something-or-other, and you could actually HEAR RIFFS, not just feel some incessent pounding. Warwicks are prettier than anything else mentioned, too, but again, that's just my opinion. :D
  13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You da man, chbecker! 800 Hz is the key for me. Allows my flatwound strung P-Bass to cut right through the mix. I too was able to turn down, to the delight of the club owners!

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Three words:

Zon Sonus Special.

The bass every guitarist loves to hate :D. Major mid grunt, nice round top end, and full fat lows. Don't hurt that it plays like a wet dream and looks that good too (at least IMO). Must just have a natural "bump" around that magic 800Hz spot. I just love my fretless 5 one, can't imagine ever being without it now....