Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar dilemma

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrbungle, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Keep the Fender. It'll hold it's value both sonically and financially.

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Woa, that Yamaha seems mucho better. Get it!

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I almost posted this in "Basses" but thought that some people might get upset ...

I have a '88 surf green 60's reissue Stratocaster, made in Japan. It's cool guitar, nice sound and great neck, - and it's my first guitar! - but the hardware, wood and electronics are subpar. Now. I got an offer of 470 euros (that's about 470$) for it and I've been drooling for this for a while ... So, should I give up the great vintage fender-vibe for a hi-tech guitar with great flame maple top on alder body, great electronics and great hardware? It'd only cost 100 euros for me :)

-Pekka

2. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Well I haven't got my hands on the latest one yet. My new fretless is waiting to be picked up from the local post office :)

-Pekka

3. How does the Yamaha feel? If you dig the tone and feel of the strat, then why switch? Nevermind the fact that the electronics and wood are a bit crap, it's the tone that matters.

Of course if you dig the Yamaha more, go for it. :)

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I'd keep the Fender. 80s MIJ Fenders are very good from everything I've ever heard or read. Not that the Yamaha is bad, I'm sure it's a fine guitar.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Phil's exactly right. The Japanese Fenders are excellent guitars, and are only starting to increase in value. The resale on that Yamaha will never be what it will be on the Fender, plus it's your first guitar. I'll never get rid of my first guitar of bass.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would have a hard time giving up a MIJ reissue strat for that yamaha.... the finish on the yamaha looks great, but I would almost think that it might be a photo-finish.... I say keep the fender!

P@

7. I voted for the Yamaha. In March I bought a Yamaha Telecaster copy. It's a 402s, also from their Pacifica series. What a guitar! I haven't A/B ed it side by side with a real Tele, but, I have played a few of the same riffs on a real Fender Telecaster at Sam Ash, and the Yamaha is scarily close in tone and feel. Nothing against Fenders, but, a lot of people overlook these very high quality instruments.

Have you played the Yamaha?

I'd go for the Yammer.

Good luck.

Mike J.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Kepp the Fender and put in better pickups...

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As much as those Yamahas would probably be nice guitars, I woulden't sell that Strat, atleast not for that kind of money. MIJ Fenders are 600-700e minimum in Finland, and increasing their value whole the time. I was lucky and got my '89 Tele for 300e though, but that's bit a different story..

11. Keep the Fender. For purely sentimental reasons.

12. are you nuts? if i had a surf green MIJ, i wouldn't trade it for a freakin' PRS, let alone that ugly yamaha.

13. i second that notion

14. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Thanks for all the replies. You made the point for keeping the strat but I'm still not sure about that. I should replace the tuners, the saddle and _all_ the electronics and even then it would be made from basswood which I don't consider 'real strat wood'. And I need a guitar with bridge humbucker :) - I don't want to mod a strat that much. The Yamaha has all the components I want in a guitar rightaway ...

But, Fender's damn sexy guitar. Surf green rules. And I just got a bridge pickup from US strat of my friends, I need to check that out.

-Pekka

15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    You could replace the bridge pickup of your Fender with one of those mini-humbuckers that DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan make if you want a bridge humbucker.

The Yamaha has a Floyd Rose tremolo which is great if you're playing hair metal but don't expect to be able to use any alternate tunings without a lot of time and frustration.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    MISCELLANEOUS!

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE! ANYTHING MUSIC RELATED GOES IN MISCELLANEOUS!

17. okay, i want to start a pool to guess when jazzbo finally cracks from the OT moderator pressure. who's in?

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own a guitar with a Floyd Rose..... I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE. THEY SUCK THE BIG ONE.