1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar DIST or OD pedal for Bass???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Will this shred my speakers? Will it sound horrible?? Just wondering cause while there are only a handful of bass-specific od/dist units available, there are countless available for guitar. Anybody tapped into this??...any suggestions on a guitar distortion pedal that will work well for bass or is this a bad idea altogether?? thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Do a search, your answer is waiting for you there...

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Wrong, there is an absolute wealth of bass-specific and bass-friendly pedals out there, distortion/overdrive/fuzz very much included.

Check out the megathread. :)

4. to my mind, the Akai Unibass is by far the best distortion unit out there. it leaves your bass sound 100% intact & adds a distorted tone 1 octave above it. it makes your bass sound huge (it can do subtle too) & leaves all the bass freq's in there.

when i got mine, i stopped using my expesive fulltone bassdrive....

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    as easy as it is to tell someone to do a search,
    I'll say that a guitar pedal will work, they just tend to suck the lows out of bass (some more than others).
    try to find one with an eq on it and it might be better.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't see why everyone is completely trashing all the "guitar" distortion pedals. First of all, the Big Muff, albeit technically a fuzz pedal, it achieves it's effect by similar means as does distortion and frankly I believe that it sounds great on bass. As do many others.

I also recall Tube Screamers being popular, English Muff'n's, Jekyll and Hyde's, Digitech Bad Monkeys, Marshall Guvnor's, as well as others that sound great.

Don't let the label tell you what to do. Plug it in and let your ears decide.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    To summarize what everyone is trying to tell you...A guitar distortion pedal will work for bass without harming your amp or speakers. Some sound good, some don't. Only you can be the judge of what sounds good.

Check out the "distortion mega-thread" and browse through the "post your pedalboard" thread to find out more about what people are using.

8. +1 on tpylons post.

Got me a few 'guitar' drive/dist pedals.
    I've just come across combining a DOD 250 ('guitar' pedal) and an ODB-3 ('bass' pedal), sounds like a busted speaker when playing, which I've been looking for awhile.
    I think most fx manufacturers market their pedals towards guitarists, unsure why, but it obviously has an effect, a fair few people have asked the same question your asking before.
    Drive/dist pedals can always be modified to add more lows.

Good distortion pedal might be a EHX Big Muff, they always seems popular round here and they are fairly cheap to get too.
    Bad Monkey is also cheap and a good starting point if your knew to the distortion game, don't own one but i'm looking at picking one up soon.
    Alot depends on what sort of music you play really.

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    the bass xxl is relatively inexpesive and quality. I do like my xxl a lot.
    some people like the rats and the guv'nor.