Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar distortion pedal for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chip, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    ok i dont have enough money for a bass distortion pedal (they are about $200> ), so i was wondering if a guitar distortion would do the job?(which are about $100)

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    hell yeah, i use one (a B.R.A.T) all the time. it sounds great, very fat, very warm - and very cheap. i've been told that bass frequencies will steadily damage the inner-workings of the pedal, however, but in my case it has only been to the detriment of a guitarist using it (it now hisses and feedbacks uncontrollably when used with the instrument it was designed for in the first place - weird, huh?). otherwise it still works great for my bass, though.

3. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Boss DS-1 works pretty good if you want a "gainy" sound. It's not an overdrive, but it works fine with the higer 3 strings (A-G)

JP

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    then there's always the ProCo Rat, which is probably less than the Boss ODB (ol' dirty bass-tard?). and it probably sounds better...:(

5. I use my BOSS DS-1 for some songs on bass it sounds great maybe not as Distorted (not cliff burton ish) as my ODB3 but it defineately works

6. I use both a Boss DF2 Distortion Feedbacker pedal, and a Mesa-Boogie bottle rocket tube distortion. The Boss works good and has the feedback thing. I'd think it's based otherwise on the same circuitry as the DS-1? And the Mesa works just as good for bass as guitar. It can be thunderously bassy. I'm not sure of the new price, because I got mine used.

7. As with most guitar effects pedals, they will work for bass, but the effect might get dropped in the low notes. I bought a distortion pedal from the classifieds for $25. I have no clue if it is made for bass, but it wprks for bass, even with an open low B. If you are going with an EQ pedal, I'd say get an EQ made for bass. I found mine for $16 on ebay.

I ordered a flanger from musicansfriend. It's a guitar flanger, so I'll see if it works. If not, back it goes.

8. you do realize that there are many distortion pedals for guitar, as well as many for bass, that cost various amounts, right? what pedals in particular are you talking about? and why are you restricting yourself to them? :confused:

9. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Hey man.. Check out Rocktek Metal worrker
    its 12 friggin dollars on Musiciansfriend!
    lol.. I got mine when it was 20 and i dont think i got ripped at all.. in fact... its seriously the best distortion ive ever owned...
    its all plastic.. so you cant really stomp at all... but its not noisy.. i get a little hiss but thats expected cause i keep the volume on it all the way up... on the pedal...Its seriously badass.... i can get alot of sounds.. you can get light distortion.. to harmonic distortions.. (seriously)... the sustain is amazing but if your playing something with stops youll have to mute the strings with your hands no problem though..but deffinitly order it.. its about te best deal for any pedal youll ever find..
    Upsides
    --------
    Sounds better and fuller than any dist. ive ever heard
    Its black..
    It works good.. never have problems
    noiseless

downsides
    ---------
    IT eats batterys(9 volt plug in adapter thingy)
    Its made of plastic and could break if you stomp on it

10. :p :D :p :rolleyes: :confused:

11. I've tried my bro's Danelectro Fat Tone distortion pedal and it actually sounded pretty decent. We had to turn the volume down some because of the feedback, but it sounded really dirty and gritty. You couldn't get many other sounds but that out, but it was a nice specialized sound if you want to play nice raunch rock

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I MUST GET THAT DISTORTION!

:D ;)

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use a ProCo Rat 2 pedal. Loses some bottom end, but that doesn't bother me. Works and sounds great for what I use it for. And it is well under a $100.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I borrowed my guitarist's Boss Metal Zone and Dano Fab Tone pedals the other day to try them out. Both get good distortion sounds, but IMO the Dano was a little warmer or tube like. Keep in mind that both are designed for guitar, so you'll lose some bottom end when using them.

15. i use a morley for that awesome, ive got a bvlown out speaker sound. lol