1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jjhardy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    right now I'm experimenting with running a bass/guitar rig simoultaneously and had a question. for the guitar end, i'm going Rat2 -> Sansamp BDDI -> solid state power amp -> Randall 4x12 guitar cab. Knowing that low frequencies can blow guitar cabs, I had the bass knob on the Sansamp cut completely, while I had the filter on the Rat2 set towards the treble side.

The tone was very feedbacky and mushy with all the high end. I figured it was likely due to the combination of the filter and lack of lows on the preamp, but did not have more time to experiment. It'll be a while till I can try that rig again, so my question is if it would be safe enough to avoid cutting lows on my preamp if I just use the treble side of the filter on the Rat.

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    It should be safe.

A bigger concern should be phase, especially if you're running the guitar and bass rigs side by side. Each gain unit reverses the phase, so it can be hard to keep track. If there is a mismatch, the combined tone of the guitar and bass rigs can be thin and weak.