Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar effect thingy (need name)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olps, Apr 16, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    What is that thing guitarists use to create a continuos sound. They hold it over, or near there pickups. I think that may help. I'm rallt curious to know what they are. Thanks.

2. is this a question for the guitar?

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Not sure. I've only seen it used on guitars, but it would probobly work on a bass. So I guess it's for bass or guitar.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I support your new rule BF, it's good, but so's this question:

It's an EBow... magnetically stimulates the strings. It works best on guitzr because it has too little force to get a thick string moving, but many bassists use them w/mixed success.

5. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah definitly better on guitar our guitarist has an e-bow, and I tried the thing, but the strings being farther apart and much thicker hindered the great sound those things can pump. However if you don't have covers over the coils on your pickups you could have better luck. The barte coils tend to pick up the vibrations better.
    Brad

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

It takes a bit of practice...as does everything...but the Ebow is VERY do-able on the bass. I use one, to great extent and success on both a solid body bass with active EMGs and a Godin A5 fretless Acoustic Bass Guitar with piezos. It is a great effect...altho "effect" is not really a good term for it. I rather tink of it as an alternative right hand technique (a term I also use to refer to Funk Fingers ...).
    Steve Lawson has several fantastic tracks on his website using an Ebow on his fretless 6 string Modulus....and Michael Manring sometimes uses TWO simultaneously!!!
    borrow your guitar-playing friends' Ebow and experiment with it on your bass.....
    Max