1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Effects and bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SMHP, Jan 3, 2007.

1. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    Alot of pros use high end guitar effects in their pedalboards. Do they change out anything in the pedals to make them more suitable to bass like change transistors or anything like that or do they just add them to their rig stright from the box? Is there anything bad about this? I would think that some of the guitar pedals would not be able to handle the power coming out of the bass?

Thanks, sorry this is my first thread:)

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You should read the FAQ instead of starting a thread that's been done 9,871,504 times before, but I'll play nice. ;)

The issue isn't power, the issue is frequency response. Some guitar pedals suck the low end out of a bass signal, but many do not. I have several guitar pedals on my board without mods, along with several bass-specific ones.

3. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    oh ok haha sorry i just joined today

4. Welcome!

We are all about helping you help yourself around here. With that in mind, I strongly encourage you to read the FAQ sticky, which is compulsory reading for newbies.

Also, the answers to your as yet unasked questions are more than likely already here. I also strongly encourage you to make use of the search function.

With regards to the "power" question, you'll know when a pedal can't handle it when it distorts when it's not supposed to be distorting.

There are pitfalls to using guitar FX with bass, but you won't kill anything... if that's what you're thinking! :smug:

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And in a rare show of non-meanness, I will add that if you do have a pedal which loses some low end, sometimes it is easy to mod them for bass if you have basic soldering skills.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You can't see it, but Bongomania typed that through clenched teeth (and I might've heard a snarl). :D

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Bongo - Is this part of a new year's resolution? ;)

As for the OP's question, a bass doesn't necessarily put out more power than a guitar. Basses are typically played through higher wattage amps than guitars, but that's all downstream of the instrument and any pedals.

8. Hopefully not stepping in to anything smelly, but (no pun intended),
    is it typically just a resistor or capacitor change?

:bag:

9. Typically a capacitor. But, sometimes the frequency response is limited by factors that cannot be easily altered. That is when it's time to think about blending dry and wet signals.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most of my pedals are "guitar pedals" but only one is modded for better bass response. It's not a necessity, but I was in a toying mood when I did it and love it too much now.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No doubt about that! :D

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, that's it. I've heard enough sniping from the peanut gallery, so from now on, NO MORE NICE from me.

You've been warned.

;)

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    awww.... but we <3 the nice bongo... it just shocks and amazes us...

14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i don't know.... i like the Mean Bongo.

tends to put a nice cap on things.

bongo = (wait for it) [​IMG]

noob = [​IMG]

:D

oh, and Welcome, SMHP! have fun and rock out! it's a fun party!