Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar effects on a bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ghost_song, Apr 27, 2002.

1. ghost_song

ghost_song Guest

Nov 5, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    is it okay to use an electric guitar effect pedal on a bass and is the reverse okay too? Will it do any damage to the pedal/amp/bass itself (a boss DD-5 delay is the pedal i was planning to use on the bass)?

2. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Nope, you should be fine running your signal through any sort of effect pedal. You might lose some low end if you use a distortion pedal that isnt designed for bass, but the delay should work as its supposed to.

For the most part, effects are universal, almost any instrument will work with an effect.

Whether or not it sounds good, however, is entirely subjective.

Go for it.

3. digital delay will work just fine. digital effects like that that don't affect the TONE will come across just fine.
    things like chorus and equalizer aren't compatible, you won't get a signal at all going through because the pedal is looking to analyze the wrong frequencies.
    distortion pedals add low end (to guitars) so they'll pick up the higher bass frequencies, but you'll lose some of your bass low end.

4. ghost_song

ghost_song Guest

Nov 5, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    thanks for the replies guys, i was just worried i was going to ruin my brother's delay pedal.