Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ARA punk, Mar 10, 2002.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    What would the effect be of using a guitar wah or distortion pedal be on a bass, bass amp, or the effects themselves when playing them through a bass?

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    To start with, there is no danger to any of the involved equipment.

Guitar effects are voiced -- that is, EQ chosen in the design -- for the guitar range. So a lot of them don't have as much or as pleasing an effect on bass. In this area, it's a matter of listening to them and deciding if you want to sound like that. Remember, of course, that things that sound pleasing alone in your room do not always sound good with a full band. Distorted guitars in particular can totally change the sonic equation.

Delay-based effects like flange and chorus designed for guitar frequently don't work well for bass because they tend to cancel out low frequencies at times. Not an issue for guitars but almost always a problem for bass. The "bass" versions of these gadgets usually send the low frequencies through unaffected and only act on the higher frequencies to avoid this problem.

3. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    When I first started playing, about 20 some years ago, I played through a Morley power wah fuzz, which I still have but am in the process of selling. It gave out some pretty cool tones for the time. When I used the wah I liked to keep the pedl at varying angles which let me have different tone varyitions instead of going up and down with my foot.