Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar Effects!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Hi all, I'm looking for an effects pedal for my guitarist. I'm no expert at effects, nevermind geetar effects!

We're looking for a basic distortion pedal, preferably something with the works - chorus, all the lil things, as well as the ability to 'tone' the distortion. (i.e. amount of contour, depth, you know..).

Stephen has £100 ($160.50) to spend, what d'ya'll suggest? We are planning on going second hand, but suggest whatever!!!

Thanks!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Big question...

Ok The fact that you have asked for chorus the works on a distortion leads me to beleive that you/he wants a multi-effects unit. The bad news is that IMHO all of the ones in that price range are very poor plastic things-poor in sound and poor in build as it will be kicked around stage.

If you insist of having the works then the only one I would reccomend is the Digitech RPM 2000. THey have been discontinued so you will have to go sh. I don't know what they go for. Hang on I'll look...

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    OK

http://music.loot.com/scripts/loots...ance=0&Location=0-1048575&SS=0&action=Find+it

There's one and they asking price is £200-which is a little high. Again IMHO the RP2000 is excellent for time based effects and some of the patches are ammazing but a mate of mine uses a Fuzz pedal in conjunction with his (and a wah) he lurks here but never posts (Hi Martin). I agree with him in that the unit is not perfect. I have another mate (what two?) who uses a GT5 (another expensive unit) and supplements it with an od and a wah.

The problem with the works philosophy is that there's always one bit you don't like.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ok here's some advice from a personal perspective as someone who plays guitar in a band and home recording on a part time basis.

Often a guitarist will expect too much from an effects unit. An effected bad sound is still a bad sound. An effects unit won't rescue poor sound or poor tone to use the lingo. So what about guitar hero X who uses X pedal?

Ok Jimi Hendrix used an Arbiter Fuzz Face. BUT he also used Fender Strats and handwired old MArshalls that were cranked. Fuzz pedals react well to single coil pickups. Another thing is that if you run a fuzz into a cranked Marshall then back off the guitar vol you get a wonderful overdrive sound. Using one of these pedal into a beginner guitar and practice amp will not turn your sound into instant Jimi (and thats without a scary amount of talent and 10 hours plus daily practice).

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I,m doing this in sections to make it easier to read. I'm hardly a spammer with under 3000 posts in over 3 years.

The guitar and the amp should be working in harmony. If your guitarist has not got a decent guitar and amp then stick the 100 quid in the Abbey and save up for a tube amp. Then save up for a decent guitar. Both elements should work together. Nu Metallers use PRS/Boogie combinations 1 to pose but 2 because buckers and cascading gain preamps will give you that sound. ME I prefer a Strat and a Vox or Fender (or clone). I own a Vox AC15 ri and a Pignose G40V which is a cheap and nasty Fender Bassman clone. The point?

My overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals all sound different with the different amp. THe od is better with the Pig and the Fuzz is more wild with the Vox. The distortion is pretty unimpressive with either.

Talking of which the distortion sounds better with a compressor or limiter in front of it.

So the point is that all of the componants must be chosen for the way that they react with each other and for the generic or ball park sound. I am not going to be joining a nu metal band with my setup (unless they want to buck the trend).

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Tell him to play clean until he can afford a Line6 guitar pod. Its what I use to track guitars. It has amp models, dist., o.d., chorus, flange, comp., and reverb as well as bass, treble, mid controls. Throw in midi capable and a footswitch and he's set for life!

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If your guitarist has good gear then I suggest that he invest in one decent well made pedal and try it with his gear first.

IMHO the Ibanez TUbescreamer is an awesome pedal and is in your budget new. TRY ONE. As they are a low gain overdrive that work well with a tube amp and single coils. THe Bixetronic Expandora is a little more expensive but fun.

http://www.soundsgreatmusic.co.uk

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The DF2 does not produce feedback but a sound similar. I've used one a while back and its basically a DS1 (which I have) and a second function 'feedback'. I strongly suggest that you try one.

THe HM2 has mixed response which is polarised into love and hate.

Try these links

http://www.musictoyz.com
    http://www.guitarpedalarchive.com

9. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    My guitarist just got this Line 6 Distortion Modeler. It is a yellow pedal with 4 presets.

The sounds he gets are great and he loves it.

(He does wish it had an LED readout to show him what he ad set though)