1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Fetish Active Preamps and Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rocmonster, Mar 7, 2013.

1. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I just joined the waiting list. I'm thinking a set may go into my SX.

3. Interesting. Been thinking of turning my Squier Jag active. What can you lose for $25?

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    It's closer to $50, but yeah. Apparently they're selling the guts separately, so if you get the pickups you'll need to spring for their wiring harness as well. Still, great price for an active setup. And I've used enough GFS pickups to know that they're decent for the money.

I'll be taking the plunge as soon as they become available.

5. It looks like only the REDactive P Bass Active pickup are in stock.

6. If you read the "factory buyout clearance sale" info page it puts a whole new light on what it is they are selling. Not sure about your pickups and pre's, but there are some other very interesting things on that site. Thanks for the heads up on that.

7. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    For my Saga Fretless Jazz set up I might consider gettting the active J pups and preamp. If I do that, the strings and pups will cost more than the kit! :bassist:

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Looks like they're all available today. Gonna have to piece the system together, wife won't let me drop $100 all at once for the Jazz setup. I'll be doing it in thirds, so I will report back when I get them installed in my SX.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this myself. My SX Jazz was only $169. I'm on the fence between these and an Audere preamp. Either way, it's gonna cost almost as much as the bass!!

I gotta say though that I've already modded my SX Jazz and have every intention of continuing to do so. I got lucky in that I got a great neck an a great body, so with some minor fretwork I ended up with a fantastic bass. It's worth it to me to keep modding, just gotta get the wife to understand when the parts of my mods end up going over what I paid for the bass.

10. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I tend to move parts from bass to bass, something is always in need of a pickup or a set of tuners. That keeps me out of trouble on the "parts worth more than the bass" thing. Now I just get the "nickle and diming us to death" thing!

Back on topic, I've had nothing but good luck with everything I've bought from them so I expect these to be good quality. And they will back you up if something's not right.

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I'm sitting here looking at the site and wondering if it would work to wire in a tele style 3-way switch with jazz pickups. So you could have neck/both/bridge and then your normal V/V/t setup.

Would that work?

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sure. That's pretty much how a Rickenbacker is wired up.

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Hmm... I think I'm gonna have to do that.

14. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Just to be clear, the items being sold as a result of the "factory buyout clearance sale" are ONLY on that page. Same with the cheap OEM parts page.

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, the factory buyout stuff is probably from the same factory that they get their bodies and necks, but it's not the same parts.

I think it's safe to assume that all their products are imported and made to their specifications.

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Anyone take the plunge on these yet, now that they are available?

17. You have to use the GFS REDactive pickups with that preamp? I just want a cheap preamp. They can keep the pickups.

18. I might be wrong but, they look like the set up as EMG's where the pre amp is in the pick up. The picture looks like the pots have just the quick connects only.

"We wound a real honest-to-god vintage style pickup here... Alnico magnets and all... noise cancelling and fully shielded, then built a super low noise, lo-impedance preamp to give yo the kind of earth-shaking POWER so tough to get out of passive pickups."

"The pickup comes retail boxed with screws, foam pads, a nice long connector cable and illustrated instructions."

Tedward

19. Oh I see. The more I look at the wiring harness I don't see the preamp. Still this is a pretty good deal. I would have no problems with expectation from GFS. My Ibanez GSR 200 is begging for a better active setup. It's the perfect candidate for this setup. $75 +/- is nice too. I don't want to dump a $200 pickup set in this bass. :D

20. Interesting that these are cheaper than the GFS JB Pro Jazz Bass Style Alnico Pickups...