1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Fx used on a bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pooly, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Pooly

Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    Hi, I've got two Fx pedals (boss DS-1 distortion, boss CH-1 chorus), that are design for guitar, and which I use for my bass. There are a equivalent fx for bass, would I get a different sound if I use the version for bass ? (the sound is fine for me as far as I hear)

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If it sounds fine to you, then it is fine. There is noting wrong with using guitar effects on bass. The only thing is that some of the distortions cause some bottom end loss. But even that can be a good thing if it's what your going for!

To answer the are there equivilants for bass:
    For the chorus, yes there is (the Boss CEB-3). Will it sound better/worse: maybe. I'd say, again, if your happy with the chorus, keep it. :bassist:

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As DH said, guitar fx will work for bass, but whether it actually sounds good is up to your ears.

4. shop around- find your sound. bass teachers always have boxes of effects you could test out. but- in the end- im a tool so i bought the sansamp bass driver di online- because i read somewhere that les claypool used it earlier on (and probably still does).

but that actually worked out perfect. it's med-high end- great low tone- smooth- a little rumble when you want- but nothing so wild it wouldnt be in a stone temple pilots bass riff or something.

guitar pedals- yes- use them- unless they eat your low end- which nearly all will. i loved the rich sound of my overdrive- but also want to be able to dial in some wicked fuzz so i bought an old boss hyper fuzz fz-2 and i love. dont make em anymore- but got it super cheap on ebay.

the pedal screams into crazy fuzz bit on command and all that- but- as is common with guitar pedals- they may not fit the range of sound you want- so the low end sounds like ****.

to remedy- i use a little mixer- though im sure a simpler line mixer pedal exists. so- i just run a line of clean- one overdriven- and then the fuzz one.

i almost always leave the sansamp on whenever i play- so its sweet to get another pedal on top and hit those fuzzy screached out highs.

hope i helped.

-Adam

5. shop around- find your sound. bass teachers always have boxes of effects you could test out. but- in the end- im a tool so i bought the sansamp bass driver di online- because i read somewhere that les claypool used it earlier on (and probably still does).

but that actually worked out perfect. it's med-high end- great low tone- smooth- a little rumble when you want- but nothing so wild it wouldnt be in a stone temple pilots bass riff or something.

guitar pedals- yes- use them- unless they eat your low end- which nearly all will. i loved the rich sound of my overdrive- but also want to be able to dial in some wicked fuzz so i bought an old boss hyper fuzz fz-2 and i love. dont make em anymore- but got it super cheap on ebay.

the pedal screams into crazy fuzz bit on command and all that- but- as is common with guitar pedals- they may not fit the range of sound you want- so the low end sounds like ****.

to remedy- i use a little mixer- though im sure a simpler line mixer pedal exists. so- i just run a line of clean- one overdriven- and then the fuzz one.

i almost always leave the sansamp on whenever i play- so its sweet to get another pedal on top and hit those fuzzy screached out highs.

hope i helped.

-Adam